M2Tech Hiface - Why not female USB to male BNC/RCA instead? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2010, 05:23 PM   #1
orpheus is offline orpheus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default M2Tech Hiface - Why not female USB to male BNC/RCA instead?

I know that M2Tech might watch this forum, but after seeing this:

Halide Design Bridge Review | Computer Audiophile

I'm wondering why M2Tech doesn't make a HiFace with a female USB and a male BNC or RCA. This would take care of a lot of potential jitter problems in running a cable carrying SPDIF, and cut down on overall costs because a great USB cable is less expensive than a great SPDIF cable. The USB is also arguably less likely to cause problems with jitter than an SPDIF cable.

Perhaps there would be issues with plugging a potentially heavy USB cable into a long converter attached to an RCA or BNC (probably less problems with the locking BNC).

Has anyone thought of this? I think it is a great solution, and should be easy to implement as an option. Any thoughts?

Aaron.
Old 15th May 2010, 11:02 PM   #2
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

You can get a USB extension cable.
Old 16th May 2010, 06:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
You can get a USB extension cable.
You're missing the point. With a USB extension cable, you still need to connect the female RCA or BNC at the end of the M2Tech to the female input on the DAC. You would still need a digital cable for that, or perhaps a male to male adaptor. The idea is to eliminate the digital cable.

Aaron.
Old 16th May 2010, 06:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh I get it.

Interesting concept I say.

It weight is a concern RCA connectors are way stronger than USB, if the Hiface is designed to be plugged straight to a USB port it wouldn't be too heavy for RCA.
Old 16th May 2010, 07:11 AM   #5
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> You're missing the point. With a USB extension cable, you still need to connect the female RCA or BNC at the end of the M2Tech to the female input on the DAC. You would still need a digital cable for that, or perhaps a male to male adaptor. The idea is to eliminate the digital cable.

No reason why you cannot use a male BNC + female USB Series B at Hiface, put it literally at the BNC input of the DAC, and run a long USB cable to your PC.
Or ?

Patrick
Old 18th May 2010, 02:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
> You're missing the point. With a USB extension cable, you still need to connect the female RCA or BNC at the end of the M2Tech to the female input on the DAC. You would still need a digital cable for that, or perhaps a male to male adaptor. The idea is to eliminate the digital cable.

No reason why you cannot use a male BNC + female USB Series B at Hiface, put it literally at the BNC input of the DAC, and run a long USB cable to your PC.
Or ?

Patrick
That's exactly what I am saying, why not? You could do it with adaptors, but why not make a version with this design, Female USB input, Male BNC output, then there is no digital cable, only a USB cable, which doesn't have the same issues as SPDIF. Seems to me that this should be the de facto configuration since the USB to SPDIF converters have gotten so small. Perhaps blocking an input on a DAC could happen, but I think it might be worth the hassle.

Aaron.
Old 27th May 2010, 07:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yeah - I had the same idea.
I might be misunderstanding the way the Hiface works but I figured essentially jittery stuff goes in and unjittery stuff comes out.
If the device plugs into the usb out and then runs down a (sometimes) long coax cable with less then ideal connectors (RCA), there is more chance of adding jitter.
If the device is plugged direct into the DAC then you can run your length of USB cable from source and not care so much about jitter because it is pre-device.
Are we flying the same plane?
Old 27th May 2010, 07:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Prothero View Post
Yeah - I had the same idea.
I might be misunderstanding the way the Hiface works but I figured essentially jittery stuff goes in and unjittery stuff comes out.
If the device plugs into the usb out and then runs down a (sometimes) long coax cable with less then ideal connectors (RCA), there is more chance of adding jitter.
If the device is plugged direct into the DAC then you can run your length of USB cable from source and not care so much about jitter because it is pre-device.
Are we flying the same plane?
Exactly the same plane. Running a long USB cable, then have a female RCA or BNC to connect to the male input on the DAC seems like the best solution, without taking it apart and putting it inside the player. It also saves money on a digital cable, since USB cables are inexpensive and effective at what they do. I am far from an expert, but I can't see a reason not to do it this way, and I'm wondering if the M2Tech folks have considered this.

Aaron.
Old 5th August 2010, 03:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Prayers answered.

But @ $450, I'll need another prayer. One that makes me rich.

Halide Design - Bridge USB to S/PDIF converter
Old 5th August 2010, 03:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Forgive me for being slow here, but why do baseband SP/DIF cables have issues with jitter and USB being a packet based shared medium not?

Hide this!Advertise here!