Which PS for Squeezebox Touch upgrade? Twisted Pear Placid, or AMB σ11?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Squeezebox Touch and would like to upgrade the power supply to linear.

I have an Avel-Lindberg 9 volt transformer with two secondaries, one of which is going into a Placid for my Buffalo II. All that I need to decide is whether or not it is better to use a Placid or an AMB σ11. The Squeezebox Touch specifies a 3 amp 5 volt supply. The Placid might not have enough current, and the AMB is only limited by the fuse (at least that is what they say). I suspect that a Placid would offer enough current, but I don't think that it can put out the 3amps that are specified.

Does anyone have an idea of which supply would be better for the Squeezebox?

The σ11 Regulated Power Supply

Placid

Thank you for reading my post.

Aaron.

I'm quite happy with the Audio-GD one :D

imgp4222.jpg

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/diy/PSU09/PSU09.htm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Kurt von Kubik did a test and determined that the Touch did not consume more than 600mA.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/165332-new-power-supply-logitech-duet.html

Excerpt from that post :
Looking at the power consumption, it seems a bit strange, that the PSU supplied, is a 5V 3A type, because I cannot make it consume anymore than 600 mA. But headroom normally is good, but with SMPS it does not really make sense.

However the psu supplied with the SB Touch has to take into consideration a hard drive connected to the USB. Which means it would have to supply at least another 500mA.

I think I'm going to build the AMB, so that way I have a different supply since I already have a TP Placid for my Buffalo.

Maybe one day I'll crack open the Squeezebox and look at replacing regulators inside, but I'm not ready to pry it open yet.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Aaron.

Hi there
The Touch itself will not consume anymore than 600 mA, at least I cannot make it consume anymore.
Attached devices might increase this somewhat, but I suggest that you do not attach anything power consuming besides USB sticks to it, because it makes it sound worse.
Also the memory stick makes it degrade sound substantially.
So if you want to use a hub a disc or like, use ones with own PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.