M2Tech Hiface vs Musiland Monitor 01 USD - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2010, 07:20 PM   #1
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default M2Tech Hiface vs Musiland Monitor 01 USD

Hi all,

I was just wondering, has anyone experience with both of these two interfaces? I would really want to know if spending more for the m2Tech worths it!

Thank you!
Old 6th May 2010, 04:22 PM   #2
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

In my opinion it is best to spend the least money as the technology is moving very rapidly in this area. Before you know it you will be upgrading to the next thing.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Get the M2Tech if you can afford it.
I had the Musiland and sold it as soon as I tried the M2Tech.
Old 8th May 2010, 03:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My two cents:

I would not recommend to buy interfaces which are running on a specific
operating system only and beside that need a proprietary driver to do so.

Cheers

Last edited by soundcheck; 8th May 2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 9th May 2010, 06:45 PM   #5
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your replies.

Now, I think these two designs are quite similar so it boils down to how the clock is generated, especially for non standard sampling rates. I know the M2Tech has two crystals so no PLL wizardry here. Don't know about the musiland. Any info?

I intend not to use the spdif connection but tap on the I2S, that should further remove any differences.

Soundcheck, as far as I remember these two are not offering any driver for linux, do you know any options?
Old 10th May 2010, 05:21 PM   #6
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

The clocks in the Musiland are derived by the DCMs in the FPGA. This means integer multiplication and division in the FPGA. The clocks in the hiface MAY be manipulated by the DCMs (somewhere the clock frequency has to be divided because spdif frequency is much lower than the clocks)
Old 10th May 2010, 05:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

M2Tech runs on all recent versions Windows and MacOS. If you plan on using it with Linux you'll be disappointed (at least for now).
I'm not sure how the development on Linux drivers goes for Musiland or if it supports MacOS. In Windows it was fine (though the various "clock flavors" on the drivers put me off).
Old 11th May 2010, 08:48 AM   #8
adelias is offline adelias  Greece
diyAudio Member

I have to agree with soundcheck regarding proprietary drivers. Take a look at the XMOS board. It runs on
standard USB audio class 2.0 drivers under Linux, Windows and MacOS. It offers I2S, Toslink, SPDIF and Analog outputs.

Last edited by adelias; 11th May 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Guys, like it or not, Linux users are a minority.
Check data of April 2010, for example:
Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your gear works for Windows and MacOS you pretty much cover the 98% of the users out there.
Of course anyone is free to use whatever OS he wants, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to settle for lesser devices (see XMOS with it's placeholder clocks and Toslink transmitters, to name a few of it's drawbacks).
I personally buy my audio stuff to do the job they're supposed to do in the best possible way (preferably working out of the box with no tweaking or compatibility and driver issues in the O/S I use), not to make a statement.

At some point there will be Linux drivers for M2Tech as well but they'd still wouldn't go by the whole "open software" idea.
I don't like having to rely on proprietary drivers either but then again proprietary means protection of intellectual property which, in itself, translates to money; and money is what makes the world go around these days.
We can go into the whole communism/capitalism/whatever in some other forum (or sub-forum of diyaudio) but I'm sure in this one the moderators would rather we keep it technical and leave ideological discussions aside.

Last edited by TheShaman; 11th May 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have a M2tech interface working with a Mac. The italian distributor told me that the designer of the interface promised a Linux driver in a couple of months.

Northernsky

Hide this!Advertise here!