Multiple instances of media player to different audio outputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I am currently involved in designing a custom audio setup that requires me to route different audio contents to different audio outputs.

My first thought to get the project off the ground was to use a multitrack software (ie cubase) in order to be able to play all 10 audio tracks simultaneously while outputting them to 1 audio output each on a professional audio card.

This is working fine but I can´t help but think that there has to be a cheaper way to do it (cubase + 10 op card = $$$)

For example with two 5.1 cards running simultaneously (different brands if needed to avoid conflics) and multiple instances of a single media player.

However I have not found a media played that allows me to route audio to specific OPs in a multiple OP audio card.

Can any of you think of a way to acomplish this? maybe involve a mixing software that is simpler? cubase is WAY too much for this application since I am basically just using it for the audio routing.

Thank you very much!

virtual audio cable and media player classic from the klite codec pack.

setup like this.

install 2 virtual audio cables vac1 and vac2

run two instances ofr media play one with vac1 as output one as vac2

setup vac1 to soundcard 1

setup vac2 to soundcard 2

think this should work theres probably a fancier way to do it

Thank you for the replies guys!

@oublie wouldn´t two instances of MPC allow me to play back only two .wavs simultaneously? In this case I need to be able to play back 10 .wavs simultanously.

Maybe 10 MPCs and 10 VACs? how much strain on the system would we be talking about in that case?

thanks again

Very little,

it would be more of an issue if you were doing any processing of the wav files but in reality if you playing back a wav file and feeding it straight to a sound card the only issue i can see is with the vac's you may find that the sound stutters when using so many. Possibly using a large buffer size may counteract this.

Sounds possible... I will definitely give it a try.

At some point (before my involvement) someone had implemented to dvd players. Audios loaded onto a dvd and sent through the 5.1 OPs. The problem was that they could ne be synchronized to play back simultaneously. Is this possible? If not can you think of a hardware based solution?

thanks

Heres an alternative :)

mulch_32playback.JPG

Audiomulch has a 32,16,8,4 etc channel player

set this up and configure audiomuch to play back the streams theres even the abiltiy to add delays.

configure this to multiple sets of audio outputs on your sound card

this will get you as far as 8 mono channels with a single 7.1 card after that i'm not sure how you would go.

you will probably have to go for a more serious sound card unless you can rig it but at least this is a start.

Muliple audio players to muliple output sound cards.

Narituba, what was the outcome of your testing.

I am looking for something similiar. Muliple instances of the same audio player running to 3 to 4 sound cards on a single server (six or eight output {analogue/digital} per card). Each audio player will have different (MP3 or FLAG files been played.)

Is there any new ideas or software out there?

I am looking for something similiar. Muliple instances of the same audio player running to 3 to 4 sound cards on a single server (six or eight output {analogue/digital} per card).

If it is a dedicated server or you could run linux on your machine, it would be trivial. Just start an arbitrary number of audio players, each directed to output to a different card. You can have as many as you wish. Even multichannel soundcards could be split among several players with each stereo jack playing different music (provided they all have the same samplerate).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.