diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   DIY a digital music server WITHOUT the PC??? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/163607-diy-digital-music-server-without-pc.html)

JazzzSpazzz 21st March 2010 09:20 PM

DIY a digital music server WITHOUT the PC???

Like the Brennan JB7??

Revolutionary HiFi - Brennan

What I really want is an "iPod Maximus" :D A nice simple user interface, quick start up & everything I have in music in a lossless format. I am currently using a dell mini hackintosh as my iPod Maximus, but it requires a tedious start up. A touch screen like the iPad would be nice,too. :D I'm asking for a lot, aren't I ;)

Anyone DIY something similar--a computer music box without having to deal with the OS each time you use it???

Thanks,
jazzzspazzz

Glowbug 21st March 2010 09:44 PM

Some network attached storage devices come with Squeezebox compatibility :)

Stanphink 22nd March 2010 01:13 AM

Not exactly DIY but I'm using a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo to store all my music in lossless format with full redundancy. It has a built in Squeezebox server amongst others and sits on my network 24/7. It can power down the disks to save power when not in use.

For playback devices, you can take your pick from Squeezebox or Sonos or any other DLNA enabled player.

JazzzSpazzz 22nd March 2010 02:19 AM

Thanks--

Thanks--Squeezebox Touch looks really interesting. The Transporter looks interesting, too, but on the high side $2K USD, it is out of my range!

Logictech is kinda loose with it's descriptions of music quality. I did find a reference to 24 bit/96 kHz DAC. I need to do some reading to understand what this really means.

Thanks,
jazzzspazzz

fastbike1 22nd March 2010 07:34 PM

If this helps, CDs are 16bit, 44KHz. Current Squeezebox (Touch not yet available) except Transporter are 24bit, 48KHz (i.e better than CD if the source is 24/48).

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzzSpazzz (Post 2127099)
Thanks--Squeezebox Touch looks really interesting. The Transporter looks interesting, too, but on the high side $2K USD, it is out of my range!

Logictech is kinda loose with it's descriptions of music quality. I did find a reference to 24 bit/96 kHz DAC. I need to do some reading to understand what this really means.

Thanks,
jazzzspazzz

JazzzSpazzz 23rd March 2010 01:18 AM

Yep, that helps a lot!!!

I've also got a bunch of vinyl albums recorded as AIFF using Audacity. Wikipedia lists them as 16 bit/44.1 kHz. So what source is 24/96??

Thanks again!

Cheers,
jazzzspazzz

orpheus 23rd March 2010 07:14 AM

Check out Vortexbox

Take a look at Vortexbox. I haven't used it yet, but it looks very interesting. The OS is Linux, open source and free. You can even install it on an old computer to try it out. Google it for the site.

Aaron.

JazzzSpazzz 24th March 2010 03:17 AM

I have tried Linux (Ubuntu) & feel that it is not quite ready for primetime yet.

Besides, I really want to avoid using any "computer" OS. I want basically a big ole iPod!

Thanks,
jazzzspazzz

orpheus 25th March 2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzzSpazzz (Post 2129437)
I have tried Linux (Ubuntu) & feel that it is not quite ready for primetime yet.

Besides, I really want to avoid using any "computer" OS. I want basically a big ole iPod!

Thanks,
jazzzspazzz

Sounds like you want the as yet unreleased Squeezebox Touch. Plug in a USB drive and you have a digital transport with a touch screen.

Vortexbox isn't a full linux installation, but a modified specialized version just for an audio NAS that uses slimserver. You can run it without a monitor, put a CD in the drive, and it will extract to FLAC and download track information automatically. Apparently you can also run a USB dac with it, and use a web browser on the same network to control it. It can also be used as a NAS. Overall, it is a pretty interesting product, and the closest to what you are looking for, especially when combined with the Squeezebox touch.

JazzzSpazzz 25th March 2010 10:48 PM

Thanks--I'll have to have a second look at that.

The Squeezebox touch sounds like what I'm after.

Thanks,
jazzzspazzz

Quote:

Originally Posted by orpheus (Post 2130733)
Sounds like you want the as yet unreleased Squeezebox Touch. Plug in a USB drive and you have a digital transport with a touch screen.

Vortexbox isn't a full linux installation, but a modified specialized version just for an audio NAS that uses slimserver. You can run it without a monitor, put a CD in the drive, and it will extract to FLAC and download track information automatically. Apparently you can also run a USB dac with it, and use a web browser on the same network to control it. It can also be used as a NAS. Overall, it is a pretty interesting product, and the closest to what you are looking for, especially when combined with the Squeezebox touch.