HTPC 6-channel 5.1 DIY Amp - Digital or Analog ? [Newbie]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings friends,
My first post here after a lot of reading within the past few weeks and I think you are GREAT :worship:

Project description:
build a small, efficient and "budget challenged" 6-channel Amp (+DAC!?) for my HTPC.
I'm not a true Audiophile (sorry about that:ashamed:) but I'll want to build something better than commercially available computer 5.1 sets - more equivalent to mid level A/V receivers that will be more compact and efficient (especially in idle) + give some room for upgrades in the future (and obviously be fun to build myself :) )
I'd prefer a minimalistic approach with minimal "part count" (will try to avoid additional devices, processors, PSU etc.) as well as minimal " $ count" (my first try and 2nd hand A/V receivers are so cheap...)

My main question at this stage is whether I shall use the available 6ch analog output, go digital S/PDIF and add 6ch DAC/Dolby processor to my build or maybe ignore the on-board chip and go for an external USB device I can integrate within the external Amp. case?

I'd be happy to hear any comments, insights and your design, hardware selection and concept recommendations ( links to relevant threads on the following mater will also be nice - there are just too many and I'm a bit "lost").

Current setup:
Source: PC -ASUS motherboard integrated ADI 1986A soundMAX "HD audio" chip with 6 analog outputs (3X 2ch sockets) and S/PDIF coax/optical output as well (don't know if capable to 6ch or 2ch only - anyone?).
Speakers: I already have an entry level HT 5.1 speaker setup (5X small 6ohm satellites + 1X 8ohm passive SW rated at Max 70W).
These currently satisfy my needs - but would probably be upgraded in the future (quality wise - not necessary much more powerful).

Initial thoughts:any comments or other recommendations are welcome!
1) Base the Amp. on Tripath 3X TA2020 (2ch boards are cheap and good kits easy to find or single 6ch 3XTA2020 board from Arjen)

2) Use the PC PSU 12V line as a power source, or, an efficient 12V-24V power brick.

3) Ability to control ON/OFF or at least Mute/Sleep from the PC in order to save electricity (the PC is on 24/7 but the Amp. should only be On when needed)

4) Ability to control volume from the Amp. itself - preferably independently for each channel pair+SW, however, not critical since I can control the levels from the source - but need at least one overall volume control in the amp.

Thats all for now - I've many more questions of course - but lets start with that.
Thank you,
Gal

My main question at this stage is whether I shall use the available 6ch analog output, go digital S/PDIF and add 6ch DAC/Dolby processor to my build or maybe ignore the on-board chip and go for an external USB device I can integrate within the external Amp. case?

Stick with the internal soundcard for the moment. Don't try to intregrate a DAC, build your project in manageable chunks.

1) Base the Amp. on Tripath 3X TA2020 (2ch boards are cheap and good kits easy to find or single 6ch 3XTA2020 board from Arjen)

You could do much worse than this. You can have some confidence in the sound quality independent of your own unsupported judgement. OTOH if you are trying to keep the costs down then you can probably find some amps to recycle.

You still need a SW amp in this case tho'. If, however, you add a mono amp for the centre channel, you can get rid of one of the duals, or keep it in case you want 7.1.

2) Use the PC PSU 12V line as a power source, or, an efficient 12V-24V power brick.

Forget using the PC 12V, get hold of a redundant laptop supply, or more than one.

3) Ability to control ON/OFF or at least Mute/Sleep from the PC in order to save electricity (the PC is on 24/7 but the Amp. should only be On when needed)

Use a COTS device here that has a mains socket.

4) Ability to control volume from the Amp. itself - preferably independently for each channel pair+SW, however, not critical since I can control the levels from the source - but need at least one overall volume control in the amp.

This is a problem. You can have 2 dual-ganged pots, one for each channel pair and 2 singletons for the centre and SW, but anything more starts to get complicated. There are dedicated tone control ICs which are the easiest way to deal with multi-channel without getting into buffering and opamps.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.