Unidentified box( Pc hardware ?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the pics...

Attachments

• DSC00704.jpg
    DSC00704.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC00705.jpg
    DSC00705.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC00707.jpg
    DSC00707.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC00708.jpg
    DSC00708.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 183
If it was on an ethernet network it would have isolation from it. No pulse transformers visible adjacent to the RJ45 - it appears that port just connects to some of the resistors.
It is possible to make an Ethernet interface without transformers. That is sometimes done to reduce cost and/or size. However, that device appears to be high quality and quite big so I don't see why they would do that.

The way the 25 pin connector is connected suggests it's a device end parallel port. I think it's probably a device that converts parallel to some kind of serial or network interface. If you give the frequency of the crystal and the part number of the chip covered by the sticker, it would help narrow it down.

It is possible to make an Ethernet interface without transformers. That is sometimes done to reduce cost and/or size.

Make an interface sure, but make it work according to the IEEE spec? No. I've had another look a bit more closely. The RJ45 has 10 pins, all ethernet connectors I've seen only have 8. One pin looks to be being used for power, so this looks like a customized use of the RJ45.

This looks like an interface box that converts standard parallel port data into custom format serial data. It could be a microcontroller programmer, a led scrolling display programmer, the interface to some numerical control machine, etc.

The RJ45 does not look like ethernet, telephone or RS-232.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.