External HD as storage...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a basic question to help me get up to speed regarding computer based audio set up.
I currently have a 2 year old iMac running iTunes and am about to invest in a Squeexbox duet (or touch) to feed my hi-end DAC and amp.
My concern is that once I have burned all of my CD library in iTunes as uncompressed WAVs its going to take all of the mac's available memory. Can I run iTunes app from an external HD or alternatively store everything off the main computer to avoid using too much memory? Will the USB cable between the HD and the computer limit bandwidth or speed?
What do you guys (and gals) do?
answers on a postcard please:D

Thanks for answering that one. I know it is a real basic question but needs to be asked!
I am building a gainclone amp with a NOS DAC built into the same chassis which will have SPDIF input. My plan is to use the Squeezebox to pass the signal straight through to my DAC in the amp, hopefully not compromising the bitstream along the way. I want to be able to stream from another part of the room, so SB seemed the obvious answer.
Always open to alternative suggestions though.:)

Thanks for answering that one. I know it is a real basic question but needs to be asked!
I am building a gainclone amp with a NOS DAC built into the same chassis which will have SPDIF input. My plan is to use the Squeezebox to pass the signal straight through to my DAC in the amp, hopefully not compromising the bitstream along the way. I want to be able to stream from another part of the room, so SB seemed the obvious answer.
Always open to alternative suggestions though.:)

I use this, AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes - Apple Store (U.S.)

For those who have optical dac it works very well with it, as it has 2 channel stereo and optical out!

Regarding the AE - I was under the impression that it has a lot of jitter. Not my opinion, just that I have read here that is doesn't have a clock. I somehow supposed that the SB was better at transferring audio as this was its original design.
Feel free to context this, I like to hear from the horse's mouth. Do you get hi-end / hi-res sound when using AE and if so, what is your system?
Thanks
Martin

JLeaman
I've seen you posting over on Peter's (audio-sector) thread quite a bit, have you built one of his amps or DACs? I'd be interested to know if they will sound good using the AE (which is a lot cheaper and neater than the SB)

I' haven't build his dac, but i have built one of his Gainclones that i liked, the ae works with alot of pieces of equipment, i use mine all the time, actually right now as we speak :)

SO do you have any comments about the apparent jitter issues with the AE for music? I am guessing it is not an issue for you.
I do quite like the interface of the SB - being able to browse album images from your listening seat appeals:p

I like my audio simple, the more crap involved always means more crap involved with the sound :) simple in simple out!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.