Time to do this all over, again ... Hi-Fi sound card - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2010, 05:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Time to do this all over, again ... Hi-Fi sound card

I've had several from Creative in the past, gamer styles as well, and finally landed home with M-Audio 2496 for pure listening when I was using Windows XP Pro.

Now a new computer and it doesn't seem to like the M-Audio PCI based sound card (crashes every few hours) drivers. "Updating" the drivers does not seem to affect the results, yet.

I have a fairly decent "new computer" running Windows 7 Home Premium. I use both Foobar and Winamp, EAC, FLAC, WMP (for vids). I don't do any gaming nor am I interested in surround sound (I have a separate system for movies). I just want the "best" two channel sound card that I can reasonably afford.

What is in the upper quality range of Win 7 friendly cards out there? I don't need any recording functions - I just want high quality playback in stereo.

Last edited by Flatlander; 16th February 2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 16th February 2010, 02:52 PM   #2
1543 is offline 1543  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have had a maya44 pci soundcard but I could not get this card work in combination with Atom N270 motherboards (945GSE chipset). Got Blue screens or windows operating system (XP/WIN7) did not start. The card itself was ok, it works properly in another computer. The drivers of semi professional soundcards are often crap, what I had to learn and spent a lot time and money for this lessons.

After the Maya44 I tried also an M-Audio 192 soundcard. Every 20 to 30 seconds I got pops in digital outpout when having sample rates > 44.1 kHz. Regardless which asio buffer sizes or PCI settings were used.
Also 176.4 kHz digital output did not work with the M-Audio. The M-Audio resamples to 88.2 kHz. Dont know if it resamples in general or it was caused by a special configuration of my system.

Finally I bought a used professional soundcard (RME Hammerfall DSP 9632) at ebay. Perfect soundcard in my opinion. The bulid quality is excellent. Processor load during playback is very low (around 1-2%), no trouble with drivers and works with windows 7. It also support AES/EBU so I can use the S/PDIF and Toslink inputs of my Apogee DAC for other source devices. I did not test analog out of the soundcard, but I expect it will be very good also.

Arne
Old 16th February 2010, 07:14 PM   #3
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

M-Audio 192 uses regular internal clock circuits of Envy24HT. This part of the chip has a bug, causing it to run at 88.2kHz instead of 176.4kHz. The driver can do nothing about it. Therefore, later cards using this chip (ESI Juli, Infrasonic Quartet) have external clock circuits, avoiding the clock-generation part of the chip and allowing proper 176.4kHz output.
Old 16th February 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, guys. It sounds as if I have some more research to do.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:39 PM   #5
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

check out the lynx cards, I can also recommend the RME9632 if you can do a little DIY you can mod it to sound even better. with a simple HD15 cable you can pull balanced output from it (the official cable is a bit pricey) and it will also turn your PC into a very nice transport with AES output if you wish to move further. (i'm doing this feeding a sabre dac) the best thing about this baby is the drivers are totally rock solid, I havent had a single driver related crash in the 4 years of owning mine. the M-Ausio is left in the dust by either card. I had a delta66 before the RME and it sounds downright bad by comparison.
Old 20th February 2010, 12:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Onkyo Wavio boards

Onkyo Wavio 24/196 SE200PCI

check out the specs.

fabulous card. i own five.

can only get them in japan or thru like audiocubes, or geekstuff

manuals are a little tuff, being in japanese and all but, hey, get 'em if ya can. they are smashing. they run the nVidia envy drivers... available at your local 7-11

regards,
Tom
Old 21st February 2010, 12:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwining View Post
Onkyo Wavio 24/196 SE200PCI

check out the specs.

fabulous card. i own five.

can only get them in japan or thru like audiocubes, or geekstuff

manuals are a little tuff, being in japanese and all but, hey, get 'em if ya can. they are smashing. they run the nVidia envy drivers... available at your local 7-11

regards,
Tom
I owned a SE200 too. I would not call it a fabulous soundcard because of its Vector linear shaping circuity (VLSC). This is fine to enhance MP3 recordings but will make good recordings worse. Connect a Spectrum analyzer and you know what I mean. The S/N and THD specs. in their datasheet are not what you get at the output. For me it is sounding card not a soundcard.
Old 21st February 2010, 06:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Where exactly does the VLSC take place? The card uses regular Envy24 connection and the WM8740 DAC.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The VLSC is part of the 3 OPA output buffer circuit. It makes a sqare wave looking like a sine wave shape by adding a huge amount of harmonics.

TECHNOLOGY | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website
Old 21st February 2010, 08:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1543 View Post
The VLSC is part of the 3 OPA output buffer circuit. It makes a sqare wave looking like a sine wave shape by adding a huge amount of harmonics.

TECHNOLOGY | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

How can adding harmonics turn square wave to sine shape? I can imagine that by removing harmonics which is what proper fs/2 output filter is supposed to do. I know nothing about VLSC, do not have the card physically, but I assumed it has a regular analog output filter.

Hide this!Advertise here!