Question about distributing audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK devils advocate here, I decide that a certain opera needs to be played back at 95kHz to sound right, but that sound card is only on one of my computers. Asynchronous TCP/IP streams should work fine with any output clock frequency (within reason) via sufficient buffering. My point is the output clocks are local and not synchronized to the data stream. The server could care less what frequency the output is at. It simply serves a data stream when asked.

BTW hats off to your software contribution.

You are absolutely correct now that I understand the application!

I have been researching media servers for a while anyway so I read some of the Squeezbox blogs. Apparently there can be lots of latency issues related to OS and particular hardware, even a 2msec difference sets up a 500, 1000, etc. comb filter effect. That Java app that they mention might help some too.

I tried Orb but at work I have firewall issues and I could not get my favorite radio stations. Orb's list seemed limited, some apps list 30,000 stations? At home I can leave it on a spare machine 24/7, I would really love for my TIVO content to show up.

VLC Multicast

Multicast is the key word here and I just missed the point sorry for wasting everyones time. Let's try this again!

Download free VideoLan (VLC) at VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

Install VLC on every computer that you want to play the same music simultaneously.

Google "VLC Multicast" here are some link that looked helpful: http://www.gctglobal.com/Products/Set_Top_Box/DMP-601/How_to_multicast_by_VLC.pdf
How to Use Vlc to Stream Audio and Video to Multiple Computers on Your Network Using Multicast: 12 steps - wikiHow
How-To: Stream almost anything using VLC -- Engadget

Regarding the last link, do not follow any instructions that mention the multicast Wizard, it does not seem to exist in latest version.

You'll may need a geek to set up each individual computer. Although the VLC instructions make it sound easy - it's not easy. I can help though a secure Crossloop session if needed.

One of the PC's needs to be the "server." Doesn't need to be a particularly powerful computer...just one that you would leave turned on and not allow to ""sleep".

That should do it!

TIVO content

I have been researching media servers for a while anyway so I read some of the Squeezbox blogs. Apparently there can be lots of latency issues related to OS and particular hardware, even a 2msec difference sets up a 500, 1000, etc. comb filter effect. That Java app that they mention might help some too.

I tried Orb but at work I have firewall issues and I could not get my favorite radio stations. Orb's list seemed limited, some apps list 30,000 stations? At home I can leave it on a spare machine 24/7, I would really love for my TIVO content to show up.

Scott, What Tivo unit are you using and what Operating System is on your PC? I have a possible application that may pull down the Tivo content but it was designed for the Series 3. Reply back with more informtion. In the mean time, I will look at the code of this application.

Multicast

Scott,

I am sure you are already aware of this but VLC has a great forum at The VideoLAN Forums • Index page check it out and search for the term "Multcast" - many answers are available on this forum and Google regarding this topic. BEWARE, many routers block Multicast traffic so this will be OK in the LAN but may not work on the WAN.

Multicast

I can't get iot to work. Sure I can play any song from any computer, but I can do that now. What I can't figure out os how to play the same song, in sych on multiple computers.

Gedlee, Please read the follow up's. I made a mistake and misunderstood the original question but I placed a correct solution up yesterday that should work. Sorry to waste your time.:eek:

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/sync.html

Just wanted to note that my proposed SoftSqueeze solution involved no extra hardware at all, every tool involved is freeware software (and even has the source available, although it'd be a stretch to call it open source since it's developed in house by Slim Devices).

That said, yes, at heart they develop devices for logitech to sell.

Please post back if this Orb solution works out for you, I can think of a few uses for such a thing if it truly can run synchronously requiring nothing but a browser on the client end.

The SoftSqueeze solution is a good one and will meet his needs. The VLC Multicast solution has limitations but is a true production grade product. Although the Softsqueeze solution may be much easier to setup. VLC can be really tricky but once setup is ROCK solid.

I also have issues with Java code, just a security thing.

Here are some of the known issues and solutions with Softsqueeze: Softsqueeze 2.0

Let me know what you use in the end, I would be interested to know if VLC or SoftSqueeze can be setup by a general user. If you read the documentation prior to setup, I am sure you will be able to do it!

The SoftSqueeze solution is a good one and will meet his needs. The VLC Multicast solution has limitations but is a true production grade product. Although the Softsqueeze solution may be much easier to setup. VLC can be really tricky but once setup is ROCK solid.

I also have issues with Java code, just a security thing.

Here are some of the known issues and solutions with Softsqueeze: Softsqueeze 2.0

Let me know what you use in the end, I would be interested to know if VLC or SoftSqueeze can be setup by a general user. If you read the documentation prior to setup, I am sure you will be able to do it!

Didn't have much time to play, but Softsqueeze setup just fine and worked just fine under Win XP. But the other machine is Win 7 - 64 bit and I could not get it to output sound, although it setup OK and appears in the list of programs using the sound card. There just wasn't any sound. Media player worked fine. Some issues with Win 7 I expect.

Didn't have much time to play, but Softsqueeze setup just fine and worked just fine under Win XP. But the other machine is Win 7 - 64 bit and I could not get it to output sound, although it setup OK and appears in the list of programs using the sound card. There just wasn't any sound. Media player worked fine. Some issues with Win 7 I expect.

Softsqueeze is not coded for Windows 7 and there are known issues with 64-bit Win7 but we may be able to get it to work. What error is displayed when you execute Softsqueeze on Windows 7? If no error, go into the Control Panel, Computer Management and look at the Application and System Event Viewer, any errors logged? What sound card are you using?

I still think Earl is going to have to tweak the latency of each set of audio hardware/drivers

I don't think that the latency will be such a big issue as long as the players are not in rooms that are very close togther. I mean as long as we are talking about a 100 ms or less, because that on the order of the propagation delay from room to room anyways. More than that and it becomes an echo and would be offensive even in widely seperated rooms.

If you are going for minimum latency then use a high sample rate vs a low one. 256 samples of 44.1k is larger in time than 256 of 96k. And with digital I think that's the best you are going to get is small latency.

Don't some soundcards have a zero latency bypass for musicians to do overdubs and monitor without the latency? I know you don't have any fancy cards like that Earl just more a comment about all asynchronous needing buffering.

If you are going for minimum latency then use a high sample rate vs a low one. 256 samples of 44.1k is larger in time than 256 of 96k. And with digital I think that's the best you are going to get is small latency.

Don't some soundcards have a zero latency bypass for musicians to do overdubs and monitor without the latency? I know you don't have any fancy cards like that Earl just more a comment about all asynchronous needing buffering.

Key, I think this is a captive environment thing i.e. the software knows this particular sound device is directly connected. TCP/IP at best still does not guarantee 10usec timing accuracy on delivery. I would be highly surprised if you could run a TCP/IP audio stream with no buffering at all. Even in a closed at home network you could decide to burn a couple of DVD's in the backround off of your network attached drive.

Ok, I have all my music in my PC, it can be accessed from any computer in my house and I can play any song, anywhere, at any time. But I can't seem to do one important thing and that is play the same song on two different PCs in synch. Is there an app that will stream from one computer to all the others allowing me to play one song from one PC on all the other PCs?

I'm talking about using my home giga-bit local ethernet of course. I shoudn't have to add a single piece of hardware, only software.

Sonos. Just Google it. If synching is your number 1 priority I doubt you could find a system at its price point that will get the job done. Put your music on a NAS and start up the Sonos system and you will have what you want. Control with Sonos controller or iPod touch/iPhone. Enjoy the music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.