Question about distributing audio - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2010, 08:07 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Post Three computers stay synchronous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Question for xerocomm: Would three computers running the same web page stay synchronous? Seems that could get to be far more than just a sample or two. If it does and its truly free then it works for me.
There should be no issues. Yes, it is truly free - it is called "open source" software. The terms and conditions are usually manged by OSI or similar agencies. Many of us out in the programming world are there for the many, not the few. We feel that if we all collaborate together a better product will be developed, thus one of the reasons for open source.

Let me know if you run into any trouble, I would be happy to help.
Old 18th January 2010, 08:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to note that my proposed SoftSqueeze solution involved no extra hardware at all, every tool involved is freeware software (and even has the source available, although it'd be a stretch to call it open source since it's developed in house by Slim Devices).

That said, yes, at heart they develop devices for logitech to sell.

Please post back if this Orb solution works out for you, I can think of a few uses for such a thing if it truly can run synchronously requiring nothing but a browser on the client end.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerocomm View Post
There should be no issues. Yes, it is truly free - it is called "open source" software. The terms and conditions are usually manged by OSI or similar agencies. Many of us out in the programming world are there for the many, not the few. We feel that if we all collaborate together a better product will be developed, thus one of the reasons for open source.

OK devils advocate here, I decide that a certain opera needs to be played back at 95kHz to sound right, but that sound card is only on one of my computers. Asynchronous TCP/IP streams should work fine with any output clock frequency (within reason) via sufficient buffering. My point is the output clocks are local and not synchronized to the data stream. The server could care less what frequency the output is at. It simply serves a data stream when asked.

BTW hats off to your software contribution.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 18th January 2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:17 AM   #14
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerocomm View Post

Thats cool! Thanks.

But for me, I like to see people make a fair profit for their hard labor or significant expertise. I am not so impressed by "collaboration" if it means that we all starve together, but I'll collaborate with anyone if I can be fairly compensated.

Thanks again.
Old 19th January 2010, 01:06 AM   #15
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't get iot to work. Sure I can play any song from any computer, but I can do that now. What I can't figure out os how to play the same song, in sych on multiple computers.
Old 19th January 2010, 01:37 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

With all do respect I don't think the problem is understood. Earl you could probably do what you want with some relatively simple software that connects via a TCP/IP socket with a little custom handshaking. NASA has some public domain code for connecting telescopes over the internet that has the basic skeleton you need. AFAIK there is no simple way to simply walk from room to room and turn on an audio stream via a browser and have them all sychronized. I can walk from my office to my LR and connect to NPR's archive and they are offset by the amount of time it took to get there. In fact the actual IP address of my computer is relatively anonymous as far as the internet is concerned. You are asking a server to assure 10usec alignment of recieved data between two or three of thousands of connected nodes.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 19th January 2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 19th January 2010, 05:31 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Once again, I propose the Squeeze solution - it's DESIGNED for multi-room audio, and support synchonisation of two software players.

Squeezebox Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.4

Just download the Squeezebox Server and point it at your media library, then install Squeezeplay on the client machines. They'll autodetect the server and connect you to your library.

Then just follow these instructions when you want to sync: Slim Devices : Support : FAQ

It's not elegant, but it will work, and you can set up playlists and control playback from a web browser on any computer on your network (or indeed any computer on the internet if you set up appropriate port fowarding).
Old 19th January 2010, 03:19 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that link, actually someone has implemented just what Earl wants and it was linked on the Squeezbox site. It uses Java and ssh tunneling to sychronize streams. EDIT - I read some of the docs, good luck.

Softsqueeze 3.8

Last edited by scott wurcer; 19th January 2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 19th January 2010, 07:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
With all do respect I don't think the problem is understood. Earl you could probably do what you want with some relatively simple software that connects via a TCP/IP socket with a little custom handshaking. NASA has some public domain code for connecting telescopes over the internet that has the basic skeleton you need. AFAIK there is no simple way to simply walk from room to room and turn on an audio stream via a browser and have them all sychronized. I can walk from my office to my LR and connect to NPR's archive and they are offset by the amount of time it took to get there. In fact the actual IP address of my computer is relatively anonymous as far as the internet is concerned. You are asking a server to assure 10usec alignment of recieved data between two or three of thousands of connected nodes.
Scott, you are correct. I misunderstood the question, thus I gave an incorrect solution. Along this path, you are correct with the problems.
Old 19th January 2010, 07:24 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeekerr View Post
Once again, I propose the Squeeze solution - it's DESIGNED for multi-room audio, and support synchonisation of two software players.

Squeezebox Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.4

Just download the Squeezebox Server and point it at your media library, then install Squeezeplay on the client machines. They'll autodetect the server and connect you to your library.

Then just follow these instructions when you want to sync: Slim Devices : Support : FAQ

It's not elegant, but it will work, and you can set up playlists and control playback from a web browser on any computer on your network (or indeed any computer on the internet if you set up appropriate port fowarding).
I have used this application and coded it for a different application but this should work. I also think VLC does the same thing but let me check first.

Hide this!Advertise here!