WAVing, not drowning - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonokeling View Post
It's not a problem for ME really.
Ah so desu ka?

w
Old 6th January 2010, 09:17 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

It's not a problemin the sense I'm still clinging on to old fashioned cd replay. Computer audio is far more convenient and has enthralled me since I first install wavelab 3 some years ago and used the digital outs on a cd rom drive to outboard dac. I see it as a distruptive technology.
Whether I ripped in burst or other mode, the datafile should not be better on the DVD, as you say it should be worse.
The track I'm doing this with is "walking in argyll" by Jackie leven. The last 20 seconds are the interesting bit.
Cheers!
Old 6th January 2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah but are you encoding to AAC? This is a lossy format. So you certainly are not getting more information. More than likely you are filtering out something you don't like. Or it's changing the gain staging so that you aren't clipping some stage in the playback anymore. You need to compare apples to apples right now I just see drastically different playback chains and you wondering why there is a difference.

Maybe play the unripped CD in foobar with ASIO, compare it to the wav, or flac EAC rip played in ASIO. Double check that replay gain isn't on for certain files.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have replayed the exact same wav file on 6 computers, ripped with EAC. On all these machines the replayed file distorts. On all these machines the wav replays perfectly, without distortion, when the source file is on an optical disc. I have seen this phenomenon on AAC aswell. Flac foobar asio etc. Etc. No difference.

Last edited by sonokeling; 6th January 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 6th January 2010, 11:21 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The issue you're describing is very unlikely - there are a great many people who use a PC as their primary source, and none of them have ever reported your issue.

Perhaps you should try asking someone to set up a blinded test for you?
Old 6th January 2010, 11:26 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ok. I'll stop the thread now. Thanks for your responses. Enjoy your music!

Last edited by sonokeling; 6th January 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 7th January 2010, 07:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Dear sonokeling,

As I understand it the common item is your head phones. This could be the answer.

Do you have a multimeter or some way of measuring the resistance of your headphones?

HiFi headphones can have low impedance, but most headphones have quiet high impedance, (100+ Ohms) so most headphone outputs on non hifi gear may go into class B or even clip on lower impedance devices.

My advice to solve audio issues on computers is to get an optical output use an external optical DAC and drive it into a conventional amplifier. (as I can often hear the computer doing things without this extra decoupling even with 24 bit Creative Soundblasters) For headphone listening I would suggest a head phone amplifier after the DAC.

if your headphone resistance is less than 64 Ohms then I think clipping due to the headphone impedance is very likely to be the cause.

All said my father had exactly the same issue with an old Mac PowerPC that we put down to a MacOs X driver issue. (many others reported it). Hes now moved to Ubuntu and all is good now.
Old 7th January 2010, 07:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Headphone impedance?

Dear sonokeling,

As I understand it the common item is your head phones. This could be the answer.

Do you have a multimeter or some way of measuring the resistance of your headphones?

HiFi headphones can have low impedance, but most headphones have quiet high impedance, (100+ Ohms) so most headphone outputs on non hifi gear may go into class B or even clip on lower impedance devices.

My advice to solve audio issues on computers is to get an optical output use an external optical DAC and drive it into a conventional amplifier. (as I can often hear the computer doing things without this extra decoupling even with 24 bit Creative Soundblasters) For headphone listening I would suggest a head phone amplifier after the DAC.

if your headphone resistance is less than 64 Ohms then I think clipping due to the headphone impedance is very likely to be the cause.

All said my father had exactly the same issue with an old Mac PowerPC that we put down to a MacOs X driver issue. (many others reported it). Hes now moved to Ubuntu and all is good now.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen,
I'm not really going to continue the thread as the emphasis is always on what I'm doing that's wrong. I wanted the focus on the track and why the DVD and hard drive files replay differently. The details may all be very interesting, but if no one has a general feeling that what I believe to be universal is universal the thread is pointless. I'm not working for Mr. Leven, but when someone posts a reply saying they've tried the track as CD, WAV and AAC through a decen headphone or audio system and hear no or some difference I really don't want to keep repeating myself.
Thanks for you comments which would be useful if I only heard the problem through the one type of headphones for all tracks. I used three types of headphones and directly fed the track to a spare input on a decent Cyrus 3 amp. Everytime, I get the same result I.e. The optical replay is fine, whilst the hard drive version is not.

Last edited by sonokeling; 7th January 2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10th January 2010, 02:00 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Dear Owen,

I felt a bit of an ***, after you offered some solid advice, so wished to respond after checking some facts. OK, ALL of my headphones have nominal 32 ohm impedance, including the iPod original headphones, sennheisers, phillips and panasonic units I've been testing, which might create an issue based on your comments.

I tried burning iTunes wav, EAC wav and Nero 8 wav to disc and pendrive, the latter because a respected audiophile informed me this gives a clearer WAV than EAC in his opinion.

Replaying through a Compaq laptop using VLN on XP, Cyrus 3 amp and mission monitor speakers connected with Kimber cable throughout, the ITunes and EAC sounded most like the original track, but only on disc.

I then trialled all three WAVs on CD and pendrive media on an Ubuntu machine, as you suggested, using sennheiser headphones only. On this occasion the Itunes and EAC rips clipped on both pen drive and disc. The Nero 8 WAV did not clip on EITHER!

So - I'm wrong - big thanks to everyone who helped put me straight - time to move on!!

Last edited by sonokeling; 10th January 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!