Car Speakers to speaker plug on PC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default Car Speakers to speaker plug on PC

Well, I just purchased some new speakers for my Mitsubishi Eclipse 2001 GT, Rockford Fosgate 80W RMS punch speakers, and after installing them, I was leftover with some stock speakers that still sounded somewhat decent in my car.

I know that this isn't a common thing to do nor is very efficient or wise. I have been browsing around and I obviously know I'm going to need an amplifier for this system to work. I have lots of spare parts running around case-wise and a plexiglass container is an awesome start. However I have to get the speakers working from off the PC first! I know this item will work but I think $70 is a little hefty for this small project.
ThinkGeek :: Pocket-size 50 Watt T-Amplifier

Many projects I've done require soldering or wiring with electric wires, I know my way around that sort of stuff. So I thought about building an amplifier for this project, I saw this simple and well recommended design but it was for headphones which I don't think will satisfy this setup at all. There is a modification for it where you add in a DC outlet plug into the wall, which would be fine for the project, but I still don't think this setup delivers the hard power that the purchased amplifier would.
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody could help me out with a project that will definetly work with a little tweaking and I'll post pictures soon, my phone isn't getting service gg christmas! Possibly willing to spend 30-40$ on a cheap amplifier that would get the job done, I'm sure a used one exists out there. But as of right now I need to know the converters that would be required, and probably a way to induce a decent amount of power into the system so the speakers would have adequate volume (aka a good custom amp design)

thanks alot!
Old 25th December 2009, 07:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello , I was posting what a serbian forum member proposed just yesterday for amplifying a line level signal in a car...
Quote:

Philips
TDA1562Q 70W
TDA155xQ from 4x6W to 2x22W
TDA8560Q 2x40 @2 ohm
TDA8568Q 4x25W

from ST
TDA7374b 2x22W
TDA7375 2x22W
TDA7454 4x35W
TDA7560 4x45W
...when I realized that you were in need of almost any kind of amplifier , not restrained by low voltage Power Supply such as the 14 V in a car.
So first of all ,if you aren't going to find a used one ,look around and see if you have any transformer from a power of 50 W and up that you could use for this application.
Then consider that car speakers are usually 4 Ohm ,and that's an impedance not many amplifiers would like to reproduce without distorting at full power ,even if a good supply (big transformer , >10 A bridge rectification , big capacitors ) is used .
Old 25th December 2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Parts-Express.com:*Dayton DTA-1 Class T Digital Amplifier 15 WPC | Dayton audio t amp t-amplifier t-amp t amp t amplifier class t amplifier class-t amplifier class t tripath tri-path tri path tripath amplifier stereo amplifier multimedia amplifier bo

Would be perfect for a project like that, IMO. Pretty close to your budget, too
Old 31st December 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Search eBay for a TA2024 amp board. Same chip as in more expensive T-amps, for around $20, on a board ready to power up and use. Some vendors even include cables and and speaker binding posts. I'm not sure what to recommend for powering it. A quiet linear supply around 12V might be best, or possibly a 15V laptop supply fed through a couple of beefy diodes to drop it to a safe range. Like a 10 or 25A bridge rectifier, - terminal goes to 15V source +, + terminal to the amp. (~ terminals not connected) It should reduce the voltage by about 1.2 to 1.4 volts. If you have a small 12V gel cell, maybe inside a battery booster pack or UPS, that could work if you leave it trickle charging.

Last edited by dangus; 31st December 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 13th January 2010, 07:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp123456 View Post
Well, I just purchased some new speakers for my Mitsubishi Eclipse 2001 GT, Rockford Fosgate 80W RMS punch speakers, and after installing them, I was leftover with some stock speakers that still sounded somewhat decent in my car.

I know that this isn't a common thing to do nor is very efficient or wise. I have been browsing around and I obviously know I'm going to need an amplifier for this system to work. I have lots of spare parts running around case-wise and a plexiglass container is an awesome start. However I have to get the speakers working from off the PC first! I know this item will work but I think $70 is a little hefty for this small project.

Many projects I've done require soldering or wiring with electric wires, I know my way around that sort of stuff. So I thought about building an amplifier for this project, I saw this simple and well recommended design but it was for headphones which I don't think will satisfy this setup at all. There is a modification for it where you add in a DC outlet plug into the wall, which would be fine for the project, but I still don't think this setup delivers the hard power that the purchased amplifier would.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody could help me out with a project that will definetly work with a little tweaking and I'll post pictures soon, my phone isn't getting service gg christmas! Possibly willing to spend 30-40$ on a cheap amplifier that would get the job done, I'm sure a used one exists out there. But as of right now I need to know the converters that would be required, and probably a way to induce a decent amount of power into the system so the speakers would have adequate volume (aka a good custom amp design)

thanks alot!
I just got a car amplifier recently online, you can have a look for it.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a great project, I guess it needs a small amp for the power of the speaker and It also depends on the wattage of what you'll be using.

auto parts | car parts | Speed Sensor | Headlight Retainer

Hide this!Advertise here!