Laptop to DAC - HOW?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I have read many threads on this here and am still confused. Can someone please tell me what do I need to get the best digital signal from my lap to my dac in order to play it in my stereo. I just want a digital out and have my external DAC do the magic of the conversion. Specifically what software and hardware do I need? Keep in mind, I use CDs in my laptop as well as Napster.
Thanks
Salsero

OK, I have read many threads on this here and am still confused. Can someone please tell me what do I need to get the best digital signal from my lap to my dac in order to play it in my stereo. I just want a digital out and have my external DAC do the magic of the conversion. Specifically what software and hardware do I need? Keep in mind, I use CDs in my laptop as well as Napster.
Thanks
Salsero

If your laptop's have optical out on headphone out (find SPDIF sign) you need just an optical cable with 3,5 mm Jack on one side (second side standard Toslink) or 3,5mm to Toslink adapter, like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If your laptop cannot SPDIF out (or your DAC can't optical input) you need a cheap USB-SPDIF converter, like this: NEW HA INFO NG COAX @ USB to SPDIF/COAX Converter bei eBay.de: Amplifiers (endet 19.12.09 06:16:27 MEZ).
Which is better? I don't know...

Thanks guys. Given that I will be using the USB signal from the lap top, I think the best solutions are the New Trends UD-10 USB audio converter for $139 or the Computer part HA NG COAX(USB to SPDIF/COAX Converter) for $25. The HA seems more the point of the exact coversion I want but I can't find any reviews on it.
Furthermore, I would like to use an external battery supply to isolate it from the computer as well a digital isolation transformer - an upgraded clock maybe (heck, why not!!). Has any one modded a USB BUS line to fit an external supply? All in all it may be a cool gizmo to play with.
Any feedback on these would be appreciated.

Thanks
Salsero

Perfect! hiFace

That's cool! Exactly what I have been looking for and answers the problem of the 48KHz limit that is common in USB digital outs. I have been shopping all week to put together a small and portable shoebox computer in order to use a PCI sound card with digital out but now I can stick with my laptop. Too bad about the slightly audiophile pricing but if the drivers really work as they say, it will be worth it to finally try some 24/192 downloads. I wonder if the US distributor will give me a 30 day trial to see if it is at least as good as the digital out of my M-Audio Firewire 410. Thanks for the tip.

laptop to dac

Ok, down to absolute basics here. I have a dac which runs very nicely with my cd player and also has a usb input which I've never used. This is because I don't know how to get the sound to appear on the usb on my laptop. All help and guidance welcome! Music is my thing not computers!
(If you saw how long it took me to figure out how to get onto this forum you would understand!)
Chris.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.