Artifacts/dropouts Win7/console/sir1 setup Help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I am very sorry if my issue has been discussed else where. I couldn't find an answer by searching.

My problem is that while playing back audio, there is sometimes small disturbances in the sound. Like very short pauses.

My setup:
PC with win7 (also had the problem with XP)
Console VST-host running asio
SIR1 VST convolver (fir filter 1000 taps) 4 instances
Mediaplayer (problem also existent with foobar)

My setup is 2-channel, so i am doing convolution on 2xtweeter and 2xwoofer.
Sound card is lynx-twoB. I use a jumper to route back pc-application audio to the lynx-mixer in order to pass all audio thru console.
In console there is a CPU load indicator wich usually reads a total of ~3% but sometimes it jumps to 50-100%. This is sometimes, but not always, related to the sound disturbances. These CPU-jumps are not seen on windows task-manager performance monitor!?! I guess this is averaged for a longer period of time.
The problem happens both when playing back music from the HD, and from the cd-rom drive, but i am not sure if it happens of equal frequency.

So, any idear of where to look?

And thanks very much in advance for your time.

Regards, Jon.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are probably running into internal underruns, i.e. the system running out of data. If the system isn't carefully optimized any of a number of background tasks can suddenly bump the audio thread. And the filters you are using may also have some periodic demands that don't show. Sysinternals has a more comprehensive toolset for looking at internal loads.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.