Interfacing I2S/SPI to USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am currently working on a USB signal acquisition module which has to be able to have at least two input and two output channels. I am working under the assumption that I will need ADC's, DAC's and a USB interfacing chip. So far I have found that the majority of data converters in the high quality 24 bit sampling region use I2S bus. I was wandering if anyone knew how these data converters normally communicate with PC's. I currently have access to a USB interface with SPI and UART ports, although I am finding it hard to find a DAC with an SPI data port.

Just wandering if anyone knows the norm for this kind of system?

Any help greatly appreciated

Dan

Hey
Thanks for the swift reply, I'm having trouble locating any kind of product list from Micronas, would it be possible to post a link maybe, I only came across their MAP-M device which does have many nice features but no USB connectivity.

As for streaming the data onto I2S I'm not sure I quite understand your point. The USB interface that I have can communicate only via SPI or UART (or I2C but I understand that this is even more useless for this application) I think this is synchronous communication but I could be wrong....

Analog and TI certainly have a wide range of A/D's but anything near audio quality seems to use this I2S format which I can't find out how to interface with USB.
I did find a suitable A/D from Analog which uses SPI (AD7764) but there is no equivalent quality D/A.

Thanks again for the help

Dan

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have researched into the FPGA, CPLD approach although I'm thinking it might be a little out of my skill rang, I know a little VHDL but I don't know how far this will get me and I also noticed Altera have posted a solution with their Max II CPLDs. As for Cmedia, that was a very helpful find, although I'm thinking the sound quality of the devices may be a little low for my needs.
Can anyone suggest a suitable CPLD/FPGA that would be able to be programmed to give me multiple channels to convert I2S to SPI, so basically for example 4 I2S bus in and 4 SPI out, all independent?
Thanks again evryone
Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.