DAC 2.1, balanced out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm searching for a good sounding DAC for my mediacenter pc that outputs 2.1 channels and where the outputs are balanced.

I do not mind if it is a diy.

It must be supported by Linux (ALSA).

I guess USB is the "natural" interface here, but others will be concidered as well.

I appriciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I'm searching for a good sounding DAC for my mediacenter pc that outputs 2.1 channels and where the outputs are balanced.

I do not mind if it is a diy.

It must be supported by Linux (ALSA).

I guess USB is the "natural" interface here, but others will be concidered as well.

I appriciate any suggestions. Thanks!
To be a bit more specific regarding the 2.1 requirement: What I'm looking for is a setup for a 2.1 system. It does not have to be a 2.1 DAC. However, I'm not sure what my choices regarding a 2.1 setup actually are.. Btw, 2+2 setup (2 woofers) is also an alternative.

How about the "good old" diydac project by Lars Nielsen http://www.diyhifi.dk/DA_A1.pdf and some more documents Index of /.
I built one and am very happy with it, connected to my mediapc by SPDIF. It has balanced outputs, reasonable to build. I think there is a company in DK still selling PCBs.

All you need is a soundcard that is capable of outputting 44.1khz (or whatever you are using) without nasty resampling (lots of USB ones available cheap), and possibly an optical-to-coax converter (you can DIY that too).

/cdl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.