xlr and 48v phantom power to pc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

As the title indicates i'm after a mic input solution for my pc for measurement purposes.

I've just bought a behringer measurement mic and now need a decent mic input solution with phantom power.

External or internal doesnt matter but price does.

I don't want to spend a fortune - my budget is pretty tight.

How does a phantom power supply work i.e. could i use a phantom power supply without using a mic preamp and then get an xlr to 3.5mm jack cable and plug that into the sound card on my pc. the power supply looks like it would be a cheaper option if it works.

mic --> xlr --> 48v phantom --> xlr --> phono 3.5mm --> mic input on pc sound card.

Thanks for any advice.

Ps i'm in the uk so if your advising any specific items uk or euro links only please.

Yes i've seen and read it before and i did consider building the linkwitz mic at one point. I'm pretty short on time and skills atm so i don't think i'm ready to modify the panasonic capsule and build the preamp circuit. I know this is the cheapest way to do it but the most advance electronics device i've built so far is a little opamp headphone amp.

This is why i'm looking for some advice.

I've done this with nothing more than 4-5 9V batteries in series to get the 48VDC, and some resistors and coupling caps. I remember not having enough gain on the PC input. I also added protection diodes to prevent blowing the PC input with transients. Something I noticed with my very inexpensive MXR large diaphragm mic is that excellent quality requires the full 48V. IMO, most of the reports of poor sound quality came from people trying to get by with 15V power supplies. I'd suggest buying or building a proper preamp with enough gain and the bias voltage built in. There are various circuits on the net. If money is tight, you can easily build it, but it's not a 1-hour project. :spin:

This link shows the various methods for the power, then use whatever preamp design suits your fancy-

Powering microphones

CH

look again.
It shows how he wired up single polarity phantom power.
This can be applied to any remote amp needing phantom power.

Ah now i understand, i didn't see what you were hinting at.

Thanks, but don't think i'd be able to do this with the time i have but it does indicate that i could use the setup I alluded to using an off the shelf 48v psu for the mic with an xlr to 3.5mm jack.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.