Wireless audio? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wireless audio?

Hi chaps, so here's a question I'm sure you'll know the answer to...

Is there such a thing as high quality wireless audio?

I've had a good search and found lots of discussions about routers and squeezy jobbies .... and lots of arguments that go way over my head

Basically I would like to make my speakers 'active' and the amplifier is very easy. But how can you send the source audio to two speakers?
Can you have a module along side each amp that picks up either the left or right channel?

I'm dreaming of no more cables (well very short ones) and no interconects

I have done a quick and dirty version with 2 very small and very cheap A2DP bluetooth recievers/transmitters for mobile phones etc.
I attached a transmitter directly to each output channel of my PS1 DAC (L&R)..... and then it's corresponding receiver directly to the input of each amp, situated only 20 cm from my drivers.
.....and it worked.... not very good quality though.... although not as bad as I had imagined it would be.

So is there something else out there that could do a better job at reasonable cost? Or is this the holy grail?

I'll hack anything as long as there are instructions

Damn... why didn't I think of that!
Old 5th November 2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Banned

This is a question of definitions really, there are FM modulators, bluetooth has a stereo music standard, somebody will always argue that it's not good enough whatever it is...

If you're prepared to specify in terms of THD, S/N or bits/sec then there are some existing systems, or you could build one yourself... I been thinking about using LED's and modulating the stereo bitstream onto the room lighting, 'course then you need a receiver and an A/D and anyway unless you use batteries you still need a power cord to the speakers. Tesla might disagree, but Tesla is dead.

You can get nice little HTPCs now for not much money.

w
Old 5th November 2009, 09:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I suppose what I did was over processing the signal DAC conversion then A2DP then back again... This is where I get confounded by the initials when people start taking about transmitting the I2S? and converting it back at the amp.... is that doable / hackable

EDIT:
Hi Wakibaki... you beat me to my second post there...
I wish I followed what you were saying but you did loose me with the LED's and modulating the stereo bit thingie

Yes my speakers still have to be plugged in but they are right next to wall sockets anyway so no issues there.

I feel I've jumped into a rather deep pool here.....

Are you saying put a HTPC on each speaker?.... no you can't be, they aren't that cheap.

I do have a media PC that I can stream the audio from but how do you send it to two speakers with no wires inbetween?
What about using network routers, they are cheap ... is that how squeezboxes work?

Last edited by Lostcause; 5th November 2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:27 AM   #4
Banned

Ah, no, not one per speaker but perhaps one in or near a speaker with a wireless network card, they're getting smaller and smaller and more and more quiet. Now you've got a wire to the wall, and a wire between speakers.

There is no truly satisfactory wireless speaker system at present. This is because users for the time being prefer to be able to select the source and DAC they want, the amplifier they will pair it with and even the wires they use to connect the component parts together. The chosen DAC/amplifier combination is unlikely to exactly correspond with that which might be chosen by a speaker manufacturer.

Thus in many ways the best that can be done presently is to have a wireless or remotely controlled source/amplifier system and source systems such as the Squeezbox take advantage of the capability to stream audio over a commercial-off-the-shelf wireless or wired network.

Obviously an FM modulator could be employed to talk to 2 speakers. Car-type modulators are readily available. Put a car radio in each of 2 speaker boxes and only connect the lefthand speaker on one radio and the righthand on the other radio. Tune both to the modulator. Instant wireless speaker system...

The problem is, how good is it really?

w

Deep pool, yes. Audio design, more than any other branch of engineering, takes directions a rational engineer might not anticipate.
Old 6th November 2009, 08:06 AM   #5
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've heard that those wireless A/V senders are capable of transmitting S/PDIF over the video link. A scan of eBay suggests you might be able to get an A/V link and a budget DAC for under $100 total.
Old 6th November 2009, 08:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback

Hmm, FM transmitters? Would that be better than A2DP?

So from what you are saying (excuse my ignorance) there is no cost effective way 'currently' to stream 'quality' audio over network routers to two amplifiers?

I currently use T-amps so the cost of that part is irrelevant (I could have 8 speakers with my stash of amps) if it was possible to stream data (I2S?) to a DAC at each speaker then that would do it?

Used Routers/network cards are very cheap and I'm sure I could build a couple of DAC kits to put on the back of them....
So basically it would look like the attached file....

Is this feasable

Or are there issues with the quality of audio you can stream over these devices?

Sorry to keep asking questions but as my Dad always said... if you don't ask....

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: gif untitled.GIF (5.5 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by Lostcause; 6th November 2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 6th November 2009, 08:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Dangus... nice one, now we are talking

I'll look into that one and do my homework... thanks again for the pointer.

Old 6th November 2009, 09:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have a cheap AV sender for TV in our house. It is really quite sensitive to interference. I think there are better products designed for specifically for audio.

There is a cheap alternative to the airport express at maplin i-Sender Wireless Audio Sender : 2.4GHz Video Senders : Maplin

You would have to use the inbuilt DAC, or potentially would be able to hack into it. Alternatively the airport express has spdif out.

I would imagine using a DAC per channel operating on a seperate clock source would cause alignment problems. If you were going to have the dacs close enough to use the same clock, you might as well use something like one of the above units and accept some cabling between left and right. Others have reported good results with spdif over the airport.

Ross
Old 6th November 2009, 10:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco_50 View Post
Hi,

I have a cheap AV sender for TV in our house. It is really quite sensitive to interference. I think there are better products designed for specifically for audio.

There is a cheap alternative to the airport express at maplin i-Sender Wireless Audio Sender : 2.4GHz Video Senders : Maplin

You would have to use the inbuilt DAC, or potentially would be able to hack into it. Alternatively the airport express has spdif out.

I would imagine using a DAC per channel operating on a seperate clock source would cause alignment problems. If you were going to have the dacs close enough to use the same clock, you might as well use something like one of the above units and accept some cabling between left and right. Others have reported good results with spdif over the airport.

Ross
Well spotted Ross, Those look nice and cheap

I can't imagine that running seperate DACs would cause me any issues, If I didn't hear any issues with two cheap A2DP transmitters then I expect something like this would be perfectly OK.
.... anyway, I'm trying to get rid of cables and I currently have my DIY integrated source/amp on top of one of my MLTL's (not ideal) so only really have 1 long cable to the other speaker. If I can work this transmitting issue out then I can use my laptop as the source and have absolutely no wires/cables sending audio. OK they need power but that's not an issue here..... In fact I could run everything off batteries as I only run TA2024 amps at lowish volume...

EDIT:
Ahhhh, now I need remote volume that works on both amps and keeps in balance..... not impossible but a little more tricky.
The A2DP setup allowed me to alter the volume using the source.....

Last edited by Lostcause; 6th November 2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Can you not just use the volume on your media player and run fixed gain power amps?

You could get 2 x airport express and just use 1 channel from each. Or get a wireless usb hub and use usb dacs (still have to have 2 usb cables though).

Hide this!Advertise here!