Windows 7 or vista..?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think 7 is inherently more stable than Vista and performance is better, GUI is better etc.
Thing is, Ive heard that after several weeks of use, windows 7's performance goes down considerably, not sure why. I run Vista and while its been unstable, it seems better now, however the disk is allways thrashing(5 minutes after booting). I think vista ideally needs 4 gigs of RAM which it cant address by design. What I dont understand is why anyone would pay for it, but if it doesnt come with the pc I would use linux. Besides, 98% of the time I use a browser, the cloud is a reality and soon the OS will be a browser. Maybe MS days are numbered?
NikGary, I just read your post again, if you get the choice with a new PC buy Windows 7. MS have addressed alot of the flaws of Vista that made it such a flop. It looks to be a sound OS.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thing is, Ive heard that after several weeks of use, windows 7's performance goes down considerably, not sure why.

I had the same impression. But Windows 7 is so much better than Vista.

I would never ever go back to Vista. It's incredibly slow and resource-hungry. After two years of it (Vista) I finally found XP-drivers for my laptop and installed XP Pro. It was just amazing how fast the machine suddenly was. Then I installed Win7 out of curiosity and was surprised to see that it felt almost as fast as XP, even with all that eyecandy. After using it for some time XP felt so outdated that I decided to stick with 7. It's stable, it has nice features and if you turn off that UAC-crap it's not even annoying.

So if you ask me, take Windows 7. Vista is the worst operating system I have ever come across.

XP for old hardware, 7 for new hardware. Now that 7 is finally *officially* here, I don't view vista as being an option worth talking about.

Vista is to 7 what ME was to XP; something to keep people interested while they slowly worked on a better product. Vista will soon be forgotten, as it should be.

I just put Win7 Ultimate on my HTPC. Much much better than XP MCE, and I can't wait to get a cablecard tuner installed.

I will probably wait until the first service pack is released for 7 before I upgrade my main rig from XP Pro.

Last edited:
I'd go for 7 as well, I just installed it over Vista and it's a nice upgrade, though I didn't have any trouble with Vista. Just make sure to go with the 64 bit version, just for future-proofing.

I feel like 7 is hogging more ram than vista actually, I'd suggest a minimum of 4gb ram.

Try to use Win 7 with LTSPICE in loop batch mode and You'll find the difference with Vista; i typically use a parameterized circuit in which in batch mode I change a parameter at each execution, and total execution time is remarkably lower with Win 7, on the same HW (lenovo T61 with 2Gb RAM). Memory footprint after boot is lower than vista and the HD is not always trashing like its predecessor.
I'm still using SuperFetch only for Boot and not for Application but with this OS I'm thinkign about fully enable it back

As easy as Linux is these days, I really do wonder why people put up with any version of Windows. My 5-year old laptop (Thinkpad T-42) runs faster with Linux than my girlfriend's brand new duo-core machine (XP Pro, 2.2 Ghz, 4G RAM). Boots up faster, won't crash...

There are a number of ways of running Windows apps under Linux. For example I have a Garmin GPS that has a topographic map program. Running under Wine on my laptop its faster than it is on my girlfriend's machine, running in its native environment.

Linux is free and there is a ton of free software, most of which is available one click away, if you run Ubuntu or Xubuntu which is a popular distribution. My browser is Firefox, my email client is Thunderbird, I run Sun office systems Open Office if I need to read or write a .doc or Excel file, pdfs are manged with Open Office and xpdf. That and a lot more comes with the distribution.

Xubuntu Linux has something called workspaces which are virtual screens. If your screen gets too cluttered up with open windows, you can scoot them off to one of the other workspaces. Its like having up to 4 screens on one machine. There is a powerful terminal window that allows you to run line commands like the old DOS, but with 1000x more functionality. CDParanoia, a line-command program (and used as a front end for several GUI-based apps), allows you to copy any CD, even one with copy protection (the copied CD will have the protection scheme intact). CDParanoia will not allow the hardware to miss a single bit on the CD, so its an excellent means of capturing music for a server process.

Xubuntu Home Page | Xubuntu you can burn an image of the installation disk which you can put into your CDR drive, boot up the machine, and see how you like it before you commit. Installation is easy, it asks you what language you speak, and what time it is where you are... You can set up dual boot too, for those that are afraid of something, but seriously I am **not** any kind of power user. I just find Linux to be a ton more reliable, safer (no viruses and virtual immunity to malicious software on websites) and works for anything I want to do.

Macs run a Linux core (you can install Xubuntu on Macbooks too). What I find is that Mac hardware is more expensive, and you can get a Windows machine to run faster than Mac (less overhead) once you have installed Linux. You get just as much functionality, without paying for the expensive hardware. Seriously, if the drama of owing a Windows machine gets old, there is an easy alternative besides the dumpster.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.