Windows 7 or vista..? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2009, 03:19 AM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
Macs run a Linux core (you can install Xubuntu on Macbooks too). What I find is that Mac hardware is more expensive, and you can get a Windows machine to run faster than Mac (less overhead) once you have installed Linux.
Not quite... Mac OS X is FreeBSD running on top of a Mach kernal. On top of that is Quartz (a pdf based graphical system unmatched by any other OS, and the Finder (the GUI). There are alternates to the Finder, but it works so well together.

You may be able to find cheaper hardware, but to get anything as well engineered as a Mac you have spend the same or more. Intel courted Apple to use their chip because they needed someone to show what the chips were capable of...

I feel the best way to use Linux (1 or more flavours) on a Mac or almost any other x86 OS (including SunOs, Windows xxx, BeOs, even DOS) is VMWare Fusion

Of course i'm biased, been using macs since 1984.

dave
Old 4th November 2009, 03:31 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Linux is the way to go, free yourself from windows slavery. I use gentoo, try ubuntu or sabayon
Old 9th November 2009, 12:23 AM   #23
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Burger King selling a Windows 7 Whopper in Japan
I think I'll stick to Linux.
Old 9th November 2009, 02:33 AM   #24
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thumbs up Good news, then.

Nice to hear some good things about 7. I hated to move from my trusty old Win2K pro. I liked it, it just worked.

At my old job I had to run OS9.1, OS8.5, OSX, Win2K, WinXP and DOS! What a mind bender that was. DOS was fun. It can only do 1 thing at a time, but it does it superbly.

And speaking of the Linux "workspaces", who remember that in the good old BeOS?

Anyhow, good news on the W7 front, then.
Old 9th November 2009, 03:24 AM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
And speaking of the Linux "workspaces", who remember that in the good old BeOS?
BeOs will run in Parallels... don't know whether my BeOS disk is PPC or Intel (Intel needed)

dave
Old 9th November 2009, 04:02 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

the marketing on windows 7 is excellent, microsoft has people brainwashed into thinking that they need it. My Asus laptop shipped with vist64 bit, I have it set to dual boot my linux or windows. Im using Linux 98% of the time. At work we have windows machines. For most computer users out there, linux will more than satify their needs, I dont miss the days of sluggish computer use caused by spyware malware etc. I dont use antivirus software either. I still think viruses are created by the antivirus companies to keep there product selling. Run out and get Windows 7 if you choose, its your money and your computer. I dont plan on purchasing it anytime in the near future, Most linux distros offer live cds so you can try it without installing it on your computer.
Old 9th November 2009, 04:44 AM   #27
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
I havent seen much marketing on windows 7, and I dont think Im that easily brainwashed.
I do want it, but I wont pay more than 50 bucks for any software either, If I cant get it I will use something else like mac OS X or linux. or maybe stay on Vista.
Old 9th November 2009, 06:04 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Windows 7 or vista..?

Hi to all
I am planning to buy new laptop.But confused little which system to buy.So please share your experience so i can get some ideas.which one is better..?
Old 9th November 2009, 06:29 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

If you're considering Vista, you want 7.

Some will tell you that 7 is too new, but frankly, 7 is just a new interface on top of a bug-fixed Vista core.

For a low power system (single core, <=1gb of RAM) I would still suggest Windows XP. Anything exceeding that specification will run 7 fine.
Old 9th November 2009, 06:58 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nazar_lv

Hide this!Advertise here!