how to set up a crossover on pc ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying out several ways to set my pc + m-audio profire.
the profire works with asio and has 8 outputs..

things i tried : the crossover that comes standard with foobar, it works, but the sound is quite bad + the levels don't get as high as without it.

then i set up cubase, connected the digital out of my soundcard to the digital in, so i could get all audio into cubase and used a few plugins for low and high pass, sound was way better then the foobar crossover with this + i can watch movies with the sub now...

isn't there an easier solution for this ?

Here is a link to an old series of posts by ShinOBIWAN on building PC based crossovers. Very long and informative.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/63078-how-pc-xo.html

I went through the series a couple of weeks ago and am still digesting the info. Using some of the techniques discussed in the series, I now have a working 2 way crossover that handles the sub to main crossover including open baffle sub EQ and some fundamental room bass correction up and running.

Components in use are a ESI Maya44 sound card, Console with many plugins, Fubar 2000 with ASIO output plugin, and Jack for signal routing.

Hey guys i purchased a new car 2008 chrysler crossfire coupe and looking to start with a new audio setup. In my old car i had a pioneer deck that would take the signal from the pc and give me rca outputs to run direct to my amps and i used the built in crossover on the deck. I am not sure how to get rca output from the soundcard for running an active setup in my car.so how do i go about getting rca inputs to the amp for the front right and left woofer and the front right and left tweeter and the subwoofer. most sound cards i see only have headphone out or a balanced output. I saw this m-audio usb soundcard and i really like it since it only needs a 500mhz processor.

Hey guys i purchased a new car 2008 chrysler crossfire coupe and looking to start with a new audio setup. In my old car i had a pioneer deck that would take the signal from the pc and give me rca outputs to run direct to my amps and i used the built in crossover on the deck. I am not sure how to get rca output from the soundcard for running an active setup in my car.so how do i go about getting rca inputs to the amp for the front right and left woofer and the front right and left tweeter and the subwoofer. most sound cards i see only have headphone out or a balanced output. I saw this m-audio usb soundcard and i really like it since it only needs a 500mhz processor.

Probably cause for a new topic as this is pretty far from the OPs question...

To the OP, that thread has lots of useful info in. When I was running active with windows I ended up with 'vsthost' (freeware program that performs the same functions as the 'console' program mentioned in the thread) to host vst plugins to perform crossover duties.. you route your asio through that and all computer sounds are filtered... there are many vst plugins out there... from crossovers to linear phase eq...

Last edited:
Hi there.

Try this:

DSP Crossover for PC. Frequency Allocator.

or IMO even better but a bot more complicated:

(((acourate)))® - Room Correction, Speaker Optimization and Sound Improvement

With Acourate you'll get even a ready made Linux OS which you can boot from an USB stick and runs entirely on a RAMDISK.

The reason I am not into multichannel yet. All multichannel DACs/soundcards I tried do sound much worse then my stereo setup.
My biggest question - since quite a while: How to I get highest quality multichannel I2S from a PC

Before I havn't solved that question. I won't go ahead.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.