FreeNAS - Anyone Tried it as a Music Server? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2009, 01:52 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Andy , I am just curious .. What do you use a 4 X 300gb raid array for ??

I just use 2 - $40 SATA2 80GB's partitioned in two parts (operating system -15gb/site- video editing 65gb) in raid 0. All of the media is on my other 3TB in standard mode. My "insurance" is optical backup of the 3 TB (DVD - Blue Ray). My website is on the raid array but also backed up as one blue -ray ISO on another "slow drive".
OS
Old 23rd September 2009, 02:24 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
I remember when 1 MB in a VAX-780 was considered a lot of RAM.
And when 32 MB (Not GB!) drives had 14" platters, LOL!
And when graphics hardware was programmed in microcode.
I remember...
- when 8K was a lot of RAM
- programming in Fortran on punch cards
- using 9 track tapes
- entering 6800 assembler using toggle switches

Check out the Data Robotics storage systems, those look pretty cool and I believe are Linux based.
Old 23rd September 2009, 02:35 AM   #23
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
Andy , I am just curious .. What do you use a 4 X 300gb raid array for ??
At the time I set it up, 300GB drives were the "sweet spot" for cost/GB. That was quite a while back. I have about 1500 CDs ripped to FLAC, so that takes up a lot of space. Plus there's lots of other data too, such as backup OS HD images of the machine it's in, and two other machines. My OS is on a separate 160GB drive, so the RAID is data-only.
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:42 AM   #24
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy,

Excellent writeup by you as usual!
Why not a 1 to 2 TB simple esata external drive for backup?
I use a 500 GB unit with USB.
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:47 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydub View Post
I remember...
- when 8K was a lot of RAM
- programming in Fortran on punch cards
8K? you talkin' core memory?

The VAX was the "new" and up to date system; I think
ours had only 256K.

Pete B.
Old 23rd September 2009, 04:33 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

As far as the RAID setups go, I would go with Intel hardware, some if not most of their support chips sets include RAID. I doubt that it burdens the processor much, since Intel knows what they're doing - well most of the time. It seems that they learned their lesson with the 286 and all the bugs - they never got protected mode working right and just moved on to the 32 bit 386 protected mode.

I know, as I think you probably do also, from working in CPU design that exhaustive testing is absolutely necessary. I've seen projects nearly fail due to bugs in subsystems supplied by other vendors and so, knowing the complexity I tend to be reluctant to go with companies that do not have the funds to fully test their designs. Kind of like knowing what goes into the sausage, lol! The stories I could tell!
This is my approach based on not wanting to make debugging the system a long, risky, and painful effort. I would certainly do more of what you're doing if computers were more of a hobby for me.

I'd tend to trust well tested servers with RAID setups where they have to be relied on for business and professional work. Most of the reasonably priced used systems use SCSI drives as I'm sure you know. And probably the companies that have been doing RAID for 10 or 20 years with a good reputation, will usually get it right. I'd probably also trust Adaptec and Highpoint; it would be nice if there was a low cost clone, but I think they use custom chip sets. Oh, yeah, I worked for a certain large chip company who offered a RAID chip - I would not trust it LOL! I don't think it benched that well in tests I saw years ago on Tom's Hardware.
I'll try to find a review of the Intel RAID board. I think RAID got spec'ed in for media/high end PCs by MS or Intel. The Gateway (Intel motherboard)/Vista system that I have supports RAID, and a high end ASUS motherboard that I have also supports RAID also with an Intel chipset. Most of our other systems are Dell also with Intel chipsets.

I've said for years that the slow disk drives are the bottleneck in computers these days and this has been part of the reason that I've wanted to do a RAID setup in my main system as you are doing.
I've found that the Seagates with the 32MB cache seem to perform well without RAID and at a reasonable cost. The other consideration is that a server such as the FreeNAS setup that I'm considering only has to be fast enough to stream audio, video, and support late night backups. I'm not too worried about speed in that case.

Pete B.

Last edited by PB2; 23rd September 2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 23rd September 2009, 04:52 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hmmm: http://www.lsi.com/channel/about_cha...new/index.html
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:14 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Not bad: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...raid,2388.html

Here's an older review that mentions Intel using something like their i960 RISC
processor to manage the RAID. The i960 would take very little die area, not sure if
they use a dedicated processor in their MB chip sets:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ing,502-7.html

Last edited by PB2; 23rd September 2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:39 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Why not a 1 to 2 TB simple esata external drive for backup?
I use a 500 GB unit with USB.
Well, that's entirely too simple and inexpensive!

Seriously though, that may be the best approach of all. I could just get 3 new 1TB drives for the RAID setup and a 2TB external drive for backup and call it a day, for a few years at least.

BTW, here's a link to that Highpoint RAID card. It uses an Intel IOP348 chip. 300 bucks at newegg.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr4320.htm
Old 24th September 2009, 07:35 PM   #30
Banned

Okay, I'm talking to myself here, but I thought I'd bring up something I found about potential problems using desktop drives in a hardware RAID array. This PDF file on the Western Digital site describes the problem and its solution, the so-called TLER feature of their RAID-edition drives. Other vendors have a similar feature with a different name. What they don't tell you is that they have a utility called WDTLER that allows you to enable this feature for desktop drives as well. That utility can be found here. It needs to be put on a bootable DOS CD, bootable DOS floppy or bootable USB drive. I found an ISO image of a bootable DOS CD with the WDTLER files here. The other alternative makes use of the "HP USB boot utility" for making bootable USB sticks. You'll need to do a search for that one. I only found it on rapidshare, so I won't post a link.

It looks like I'll be scaling back on my target disc capacity. 2TB external USB hard drives can be had for $190. So I think I'll get one of those, and three 1TB drives for my RAID array. That solution is less than $500 total and more than doubles my current capacity while providing full backup as well. That should hold me for several years. Anticipating the future with extremely large storage capacity leads to complex and expensive solutions. Thanks to Pete for this suggestion which, despite its simplicity, I hadn't considered before. Duh!

Hide this!Advertise here!