Computer based Hifi - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2009, 02:13 AM   #21
wlowes is online now wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default CPLAY and CMP

If you have not tried CPLAY, you must check it out.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pc...s/3/31286.html

You are in for a great surprise. A very generous fellow named CICS has developed not only a great player, but has experimented with PC hardware and software. Effectively, you dedicate a PC to become a music server. All extraneous bits of Windows are stripped away until only a few threads remain. Every step yields improvement. A dramatic improvement over Foobar and the like. Every release of CPLAY is a treat because its like you just traded in your $2k transport for a $5k model.

CICS is running some pretty serious gear.. mostly Mark Levison. In his system he believes his PC transport competes with his ML390S directly into ML33H's. Others on the site run similar stuff and rave about the CPLAY front end.

Personally I use a Toshiba laptop running his stripped down winxp setup. No oversampling into a tda1543 NOS dac, all wave files no FLAC to cut down on CPU. Its sublime. Also short hi quality usb cable.

check it out! you will not be disappointed
Old 15th August 2009, 02:33 AM   #22
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah the XP I run has been stripped down to the bones with nlite. I took out the everything I could including networking and security. Of course I am running a multitrack with tons of FX and tracks. I might get into Linux later but right now I really don't need the headache of learning other OSes and support for production has never been that great. Maybe in the future though.
Old 15th August 2009, 02:41 AM   #23
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn
I keep PC in my barn, then feed RGB video from it to the living room, and an audio via couple of audio transformers.
Microsoft remote keyboard and mouse has low sensitivity, so I had to bring USB radio device to the living room hiding it behind the stand.
From what I hear blu tooth keyboards and mice are the way to go if you have the computer in another room. Someday I will set my system up this way.
Old 15th August 2009, 03:04 AM   #24
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

My usual setup is a Sound Blaster 24-bit with digital output to an old Philips digital amplifier.

Currently, I'm using the Intel HD output from my Dell 1700 laptop to a TPA3122D2 hybrid digital amplifier since I'm reworking the desktop. I'm actually surprised how good the sound quality is, but hybrid digital "smug" (just like the hybrid car "smug" rumor, except it actually seems to be true) might have something to do with it.

As for source material, I prefer FLAC, followed by OGG, then MP3. Most of my collection is in OGG since that's what Jamendo has available. I play them back using Amarok and I disable the "dmix" (not sure why it's there - it degrades quality and uses up CPU) in ALSA for the best quality.
Old 15th August 2009, 03:55 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
do you run RIAA EQ and gain on a "proper" phono pre, or use digital?........Well said. It shocks me totally that on a DIY forum of so many smart people there is so much support for platforms and OS's that actively prevent any access to the underlying hardware that your money has paid for.
The 1820M has a RIAA preamp built in with dedicated turntable inputs. It is designed to be the engine for a multitrack home studio. I run Cakewalk Sonar 7 software and the Emu1820M box to make a "Digital Audio Workstation". This requires the use of Windows, and 64 bit XP works best with Sonar, but won't do much else. The best compromize for a computer that leads a double life as a DAW and a general purpose computer is 64 bit Vista.

I am slowly collecting the parts to build a dedicated music and tv player machine. As with the big machine I am only buying items that are significantly marked down in price. OS is not chosen yet, but I will likely go with an Intel based system.
Old 15th August 2009, 06:44 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
bY scott wurcer-It shocks me totally that on a DIY forum of so many smart people there is so much support for platforms and OS's that actively prevent any access to the underlying hardware
Mayby not the OS's , but the poorly written software (creative). My old audigy has more hardware control than most X-fi's .. thanks to these drivers - http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/faq.php .
Check the routing of an old audigy (EMU10k2)..
Click the image to open in full size.

Same goes for my C-media 8768 , the drivers suck! .. at least for SPDIF out to my DACS +amps... so I found these .. http://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/ tried them on both the turtle beach and auzentech (both 8768's) .. MUCH better sound , no bloat , SPDIF issues gone. It seems the "smart people" (open source DIY'ers) can code better drivers than the hardware manufacturers themselves.

Linux is nice (everything works and most audio drivers are open source anyway -made by enthusiasts) XP sucks "out of the box" , but with its guts ripped out - http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html , it can be more reliable and has a 100 times more software written for it.
OS
Old 15th August 2009, 08:04 AM   #27
PJPro is offline PJPro  England
diyAudio Member

For listening downstairs, I stream my audio over my gigabit wired network using the foobar2000 UPnP Media Server (see this thread) using DLNA to my 60GB Playstation. This is connected to my Onkyo 606 Amp via HDMI. I use Arcam Muso \ Logo 5.1 speakers. Again, sounds pretty good.
Old 15th August 2009, 08:05 AM   #28
PJPro is offline PJPro  England
diyAudio Member

Seems a lot of people around here use foobar. On another forum I frequent, people didn't really like the foobar front end and didn't know how to customise it. So, I spent some time doing a little tweaking. See this thread for pictures/commentary. If you aren't familiar with tweaking the foobar frontend, take a look at this thread for a simple primer.
Old 15th August 2009, 09:27 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

My PC (unless I'm really listening) is my primary source of music, but I am stuck with Windows Media Player, which is Ok for my current set up, and I have tried iTunes, and hated every moment. First, it asks if it can go around my PC and find some music. I say no, but it does it any way, then it attempts to organise the (few) tracks on my PC HD, as I have 36 --GIGA-- bytes of tracks and an 80Gb HD, so it's unfeasable to store them all on here, so I use the 500Gb network attached storage and play from there. When I'm going some serious listening, I use CDs in the all-in-one which is also connected to the PC. In all, CDs still sound a mile ahead of my PC, so I'm open to any ideas. I tried getting a soundcard, (prosound 5.1 thing, was going cheap), but the driver on there was really ugly to try and use, so I went back to soundMAX, which looks a lot more elegant, has more features I can actually use, and takes relatively little processing to start up. Even CDs in my PC don't sound as good as in the stereo, which means a lot of things could be wrong, cables for example (using gold-plated 3.5mm stereo leads atm).

Chris

PS - PC is around 4 years old, with a new graphics card, worth 1/4 of the computer's original cost.
Old 15th August 2009, 10:26 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

95% of the time I will be listening through my MacBook straight into my amp, using the 3.5mm TRS output. Incidentally, my MacBook is on 95% of the time.

I now rip music using Max, to the highest quality VBR MP3 possible. Yes, MP3 is not perfect, but I find ripping it to the highest VBR setting does very very well.

Back in the PC days, I used Easy CDDA Extractor, to the same settings.

I tried ripping with iTunes once, never again! Even on 320kbps, the distortion in the upper ranges was unbearable.

This all runs into the RCA input on my Rotel RA-930BX and DIY Speakers, and sounds fantastic to me.

Hide this!Advertise here!