Cics - Cplay and Cmp2 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2010, 04:25 PM   #21
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

I was just wondering, do you have any news regarding the posibility of developing cplay and espeaceally cmp2 for windows7?
Old 25th February 2010, 05:02 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I've just built my already third implementation of cics system, this time with SSD, and I must say it sounds very promising, and that is without cMP2 mods yet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comp1.jpg (198.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg comp3.jpg (180.7 KB, 263 views)
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 25th February 2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:28 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
I've just built my already third implementation of cics system, this time with SSD, and I must say it sounds very promising, and that is without cMP2 mods yet...
Expensive SSDs are not required for CMP2. It plays from RAM. Applications like XXHE shutdown the HDD during playback. I implemented all this on my Linux setup three years back. (See my Linux Audio thread over here)

However , as a matter of fact it is true that the SSDs means a lower load (physical and logical) to the system and do cause sound improvements over HDDs on a normal system. The problem is that you can not put your entire collection on that SSD.
You'd need to stick to an external powered HDD in any case.

Of course it is very convenient to work with a SSD in a normal working environment. I'll never work from a HDD again.

Trying to get the PC under control is a never ending story though. I am doing this for more then 3 years now. It never gets finished. I think doing stuff like CMP2 is a waste of time and money.

You can run a FPGA solution with a 3.3V battery. It is completely nonsense to try to strip down a full blown PC to get exactly there. You'll never manage.

With a little tweaking you can make a Squeezebox receiver (I2S out) outperfom any PC source. And you'll save tons of money and time by doing so.

( I won't start a SD-card player discussion over here Because that's a complete different story)
Old 27th February 2010, 06:48 PM   #24
Tolu is offline Tolu  Germany
diyAudio Member

I think the benefit of a PC is the easy way to use! Who is able to program FPGAs or C? With an amount of 300 $ you can get a nice sounding system with a big display. You can rip your CD directly from this device and you can change software with ease.

I have just tried cmp+cplay on an (8 yrs) old Dell notebook and the sound is very promising. No crackles and drop outs with this software! But the GUI is hell. There could be done a lot to get a perfect audio system. The sound is almost very good, hopefully cics will improve the GUI.
Old 28th February 2010, 06:39 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolu View Post
I think the benefit of a PC is the easy way to use! Who is able to program FPGAs or C? With an amount of 300 $ you can get a nice sounding system with a big display. You can rip your CD directly from this device and you can change software with ease.

I have just tried cmp+cplay on an (8 yrs) old Dell notebook and the sound is very promising. No crackles and drop outs with this software! But the GUI is hell. There could be done a lot to get a perfect audio system. The sound is almost very good, hopefully cics will improve the GUI.
Thomas.

I am not saying that a PC is the absolutely wrong thing to go for. There are many applications where a PC can be used as a very good audio transport.

And a lot of the things Cics figured out on the HW side are valid. ( This actually only shows how bad a basic PC really performs as audio source)

Though on the SW side I get much better results on my Linux setup. ( That's been tested and verified)

My earlier made statement refers to my serious quest for best sound from a PC since more the 3.5 years and the conclusion I took from this.

I am saying that I could tweak a PC (HW and SW) to death and spent 100h and 500$ on tweaking a device that will never achieve the level of a slightly tweaked ( PS and clock)
Squeezebox (FPGA) which on top supplies the DIY option for I2S out.
If you go for I2S out you just need to supply the box 1.2V/3.3V from a battery.

Beside that I control that box by a very advanced control ( iPeng for Ipod/iPhone)
and enjoy an extremely fast database and Internet radio.
On the Squeezeboxserver I can do almost any signal processing to keep these tasks away from the transport.

My entire family can use this easily. Cmp will for sure be exclusive to you.

However, I think the majority of people just now discovers the PC as rather serious source.
(I consider myself 3.5 years ahead of them ... and I went very deep down in the OS during that time)

Consider my statements as advise. Before you start buying weired PC parts, expensive soundcards ( incl. external devices at any price level) - which all need to be tweaked as well - think about all that.

(Meanwhile a couple of friends of mine are having an electronic CMP junkyard and tweaked idle sitting Juli's etc. at a home. )

Good luck

Last edited by soundcheck; 28th February 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 1st March 2010, 02:06 AM   #26
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default just loaded up Cplay today

I just loaded up cPlay on my desktop computer, playing via a RME Hammerfall card into a modified Behringer DEQ and alternately via a RME ADI8DS DAC section.

The modified Behringer DEQ (SPDIF) sounds better than the RME (ADAT)

Without having made any measurements etc, can verify that cPlay sounds better than both Foobar and Media Monkey in my system. I can live with a poor GUI in exchange for the improvements I have just realized.

Next step is to build a dedicated playback box...

Hide this!Advertise here!