Linux + MPD music server --> assistance offered - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2009, 07:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
Default Linux + MPD music server --> assistance offered

Hi all,

Some time ago I've successfully built a Linux + Music Player Daemon (mpd) music server for use in my system. It is based on a very cheap second hand 'thin client' computer. It will take a portable USB hard disk and play to USB. It's connected to my DAC (kit from dddac.de) which converts the USB to I2S, then sends it to a stack of TDA1543 chips. I can control the whole thing from anywhere on my network: laptop, PDA, ...

This thread is to let everyone know: if you want to do something similar and need specific help (config files, ...), I'll try my best to help!

Kenneth
Old 20th August 2009, 10:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

How do you interface a PDA to your linux box? I'm a complete novice with PDAs, but have a Linux box that records from a DVB tuner, and UPNPs video to my PS3. It wouldbe nice to use a PDA to control it (currently, I'm aiming for a web based server to control it from a laptop, but its early days).
Old 21st August 2009, 12:49 AM   #3
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Use Telnet or SSH and you can then access the system using any device that supports those protocols.
Old 21st August 2009, 06:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The linux box runs the "mpd" music player. This is a music player that accepts incoming TCP connections and uses its own protocol so other computers/PDA's on your home network can tell it what to do. You need an "mpd client" to control the box.

There are mpd clients available for just about any system, see http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

For example for IPOD there's this client: http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpod/

If I need to change something to the setup of the linux box (not normally needed), I use secure shell (SSH).

After initial installation of the linux box and getting the network up and running, I disconnected the monitor and keyboard, now it's just a little box sitting next to my DAC
Old 21st August 2009, 06:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoole View Post
have a Linux box that records from a DVB tuner, and UPNPs video to my PS3. It wouldbe nice to use a PDA to control it
How easy it is to control this from another device like PDA, will depend on what program the Linux box is actually running. If it's MythTV, I'm sure there's software available to control it from a distance.
Old 21st August 2009, 03:36 PM   #6
FYC is offline FYC  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I have a Linux Mint box as music server. It can be run as headless and controlled via TightVNC from other computers in my home LAN. My plan, but need to find the money, is to buy a small netbook and use this netbook as a "remote control" (via TightVNC) to control the MPD in the Linux Mint box. I believe this is a neat and easy way also.
Old 21st August 2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Theo404 is offline Theo404  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYC View Post
I have a Linux Mint box as music server. It can be run as headless and controlled via TightVNC from other computers in my home LAN. My plan, but need to find the money, is to buy a small netbook and use this netbook as a "remote control" (via TightVNC) to control the MPD in the Linux Mint box. I believe this is a neat and easy way also.
Using VNC to remote desktop seems a little over the top if your using MPD, it provides numerous ways to control it more simply.

http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients
Old 21st August 2009, 08:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo404 View Post
Using VNC to remote desktop seems a little over the top if your using MPD, it provides numerous ways to control it more simply.
There's even a javascript client. Whatever "remote control" one wants to use: if it comes with a web browser, it's good to go.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How easy it is to control this from another device like PDA, will depend on what program the Linux box is actually running. If it's MythTV, I'm sure there's software available to control it from a distance.
I'm using mediatomb to UPNP to the PS3, but the recording is my own software (it's quite infantile at the moment). I was just interested if there was something other than telnet or http to interface a PDA to a linux box, but maybe not. I just have limited experience with PDAs.
Anyway, mine's not really audio. I was just interested in what you'd done.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 22nd August 2009, 02:31 AM   #10
FYC is offline FYC  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I am still an novice in computing so I rest on using TightVNC. Will have to learn more about other remote control methods. Nevertheless, I am using Sonata as client, and with VNC, I can actually put up a nice little screen beside us (if using the netbook) and read lyrics etc...

Hide this!Advertise here!