Bride of Zen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to build this preamp and I have a few questions.Personaly,I think the input cap(C104/1µF) need to be a good one a Tin folie or better but what about the output cap(C103/10µF)?

Attachments

• boz_image001.gif
    boz_image001.gif
    37.1 KB · Views: 943
Hi,
using the original value for the volume pot, the output impedance will be 0- 1,5k depending on the position of the volume pot. If you increase it, the output impedance will be increased too. This would be a problem for your power amp if it has low input impedance.
I have used a 10uF SCR polypropylene cap for output with good results. It's too expensive to use something "great" in this value.

Regards
Spiros

Spirtos said:
Hi,
using the original value for the volume pot, the output impedance will be 0- 1,5k depending on the position of the volume pot. If you increase it, the output impedance will be increased too. This would be a problem for your power amp if it has low input impedance.
I have used a 10uF SCR polypropylene cap for output with good results. It's too expensive to use something "great" in this value.

Regards
Spiros

Hi,
Look at the Sewa tread post #655
I'm wondering if I could replace the MKP 10µF for a 8.2µF?

Hi,
you can decrease the capacitor value and increase the pot value,
BUT keep in mind the basic rule for amplification stages: For adaptation between two stages, you need source with at least 10 times smaller output impedance than load's input impedance. Also, in this circuit , the total output impedance is a combination of R104 (1K), mosfet IRF610, C103 (10uF), and volume pot (5K). I use a 10k Alps Blue pot in my BOZ, but my poweramps (so far) have more than 33K input impedance...so...

Spiros

I'll try to be more clear.

The low cut-off frequency is:

f= 1/ 2π * (RD + RL) * C

where RL= volume pot, RD=R104, C=C103 in the original schematic. Moreover, you have the poweramp input impedance which must be 10 times bigger than preamp's output impedance, otherwise you'll have limitation in frequency responce.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.