X100 backengineered here

I would just assume that if there are copies out there for the dealers, then one would have to assume that they have leaked out by now.

I don't know, just me thinking out loud. I respect intellectual property though and think it would be better to have somethings not known.

Good luck.

C

Thanks, Petter.

It is also interesting that the output stage is a source follower, which has low distortion and output impedence. But htis also means that all the voltage gain of 30 db must come from the single driver stage-- that is a lot for one stage. Perhape the later x amps, which is said to have a JFET imput stage, will perform better assuming it still has a MOSFT driver stage. It would indeed be interesting to see how that is implemented.

CT

Petter said:
X100 is a scalable power amplifier reverse engineered (not through printed circuit board, but using techniques such as looking at photographs etc etc) with the Pass Labs X600-1000 as motivation/goal. I only needed 100W so that was the aim and hence the name, but the principle is the same - the original design is very scalable - with suitable selection of components you can get 1000W or more as Nelson Pass originally did.

A couple of people built something on this including myself, but most others wandered off to other threads, AlephX seemed as a major path most folks took.

This thread has limited activity, but there is still a lot of insight from smart DIY Audio members and thus a good place to learn.

The smaller X amps are not designed the same way, be that positive or negative.

This thread was to my knowledge the first time that NP came out on DIY Audio. Now he is responsible for motivating users in a separate forum on this site. Kudos!

Petter

Hi Petter,

Would you be willing to post the schematic of the X100 amp that you build?
I'm currently looking at building an ballanced amp with minimal dissipation, and this certanly an option.

ctong said:
Thanks, Petter.

It is also interesting that the output stage is a source follower, which has low distortion and output impedence. But htis also means that all the voltage gain of 30 db must come from the single driver stage-- that is a lot for one stage. Perhape the later x amps, which is said to have a JFET imput stage, will perform better assuming it still has a MOSFT driver stage. It would indeed be interesting to see how that is implemented.

CT

The X Series with the gain box (UGS) and Jfet inputstage
have 3 stages in total, 2 gainstages at the ugs and the
power followers.

Uli

:nod: :nod: :nod:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't consider a cascode as a gain stage (it's gain contribution
is generally insignificant), just as I also consider a differential
pair to be a single stage. These are perhaps my personal
prejudices, but usually I use the gain contribution as the
criterion.

The UGS has cascoded JFETs for inputs, and like the original
circuits on the X amplifiers, we have to do some level translation
to get rail-to-rail output. On the X600 and X1000 we did this
though a folded cascode (see the A75 for an example), and so
we think of that front end as being a single stage.

This requires an additional higher voltage supply rail, and is not
convenient, so on the X350 we used a current mirror for a level
shifter. You can set that up through the resistor values to either
have gain or not. With gain it's clearly a gain stage, and without
gain I would say it's a level shifter.

We did a similar thing on the UGS, and while it's more complex
than just a diff pair, the gain is essentially that of the JFETs
loaded into the Drain resistances we provide. To that end, it's
a single stage. Change the resistor values, and you can make
it into a 2 stage piece. But this is also a function of the loading,
and the last time I looked, the mirror gain was very low on the
power amps but about 3-4 dB on the preamps.

:cool:

BTW, the patent has a rather complete schematic of the X600 /
X1000

Mr. Pass,

Thank you for answering my question. Is the front end of the X amps of responsible for all the 29 db voltage gain (assuming that the output stage is a source folower)?

May I also ask why the X1000 and X600's frond end is only suitable for balanced inputs while that of the smaller X amps can take balanced or single-ended inputs?

It's a question of how intimately the Sources of the input differential are bound together and how stiff the resistor or current source under the tail of the differential is.
A differential with a few hundred ohms under the tail will work, but will not perform very well as a phase splitter. A few thousand ohms will do a great job. By the time you get to 5-10k or so, the results are virtually indistinguishable from a current source. Most people would be surprised at how little resistance is actually necessary; they reflexively think of a CCS and never even think to try a resistor. A decent current source has a very high Zout and will cause the differential to do a very good job of signal splitting.

Grey

Grey and Mr. Nelson, thanks for the replies.

Speaking of the coupling between the two halves of a differential pair,
reducing the degree of coupling can also reduce the absolute DC offset (as in the case of the Aleph-x). But then the amp will only accept balanced inputs. Mr. Pass, how do you deal with the offset issue in the XA series (and in the X series, if there is any offset)?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ctong said:
...how do you deal with the offset issue in the XA series (and in the X series, if there is any offset)?

5 Ways:

1) Match parts for absolute and differential DC offset

2) Trim values with potentiometers for absolute and differential
DC offset

3) Common mode DC offset feedback from the outputs back to
the sources of the input diff pairs (for absolute DC offset)

4) Differential mode DC offset feedback (regular X feedback) for
differential DC offset

5) Resistive loading at the outputs to ground (about 100 ohms
or so) which minimizes absolute offset drift

Works like glue....

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by ctong How much feedback is needed to achieve resonable results?

I think of reasonable results as absolute DC less than a volt
and differential DC at 50mV or less. You can actually get these
number without any feedback at all, but I like to use a little bit
of all five techniques, so I guess the answer is "very little".

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mastertech said:
any i havent read would be highly appreciated

Everything I've written can be found at www.passlabs.com or
www.passdiy.com or www.firstwatt.com

If there's anything you can't find, I can put it up on
www.passlabs.com/np (theres some miscellaneous files there
now if you want to look at them).

I am shortly going to release my collection of Threshold pics and