Firstwatt, XA, X.5, Babbelfish...what the right one for me ? Beating Accuphase A-20V - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2007, 06:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Firstwatt, XA, X.5, Babbelfish...what the right one for me ? Beating Accuphase A-20V

OK, I guess I would not ask the question if I would have build the second channel of my XA-100 already, but I just got a son, a new house, a new speaker (line-source with 95db at 6 ohm, build with 18 2,5" Eton-chassis and 12 Fountek-Ribbons per side) and I simply have not found the time to contzinue DIY. And it might be that I can continue in a few years...

Here are my observations: I have here currently a Firstwatt F3 and an Accuphase A-20V.

The funny thing: The Accuphase sound overall darker, the treble seems to be less pronounced, less information there, but the mids are much sweeter and much more refined that the firstwatt f3. This is not what I expected I have to say. Maybe my new speakers like the higher damping factor of the A-20...maybe the A-20V is not a bad amplifier at all...

Neverthess: I would like to have both: THe refinement and sweetness of the Accuphase in the mids and the resoultion of the firstwatt in the treble...so what is the PAss-Amp which fits the bill best ? Has anyone heard the XA-series against the new X.5 series ?
Old 19th March 2007, 06:33 PM   #2
daly41k is offline daly41k  United States
diyAudio Member

Default xA vs x.5

Blitz, the Absolute Sound magazine ran two articles recently comparing the XA160 vs the 600.5. They really liked both amps and the article ends with it is a question of power and individual taste. It did explain how the different circuits sounded.

I can't remember what month the ariticles were shown, I will look at home tonight to see when they were written. If you go to the Absolute Sounds web site you may be able to download the information. dave
Old 19th March 2007, 06:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

THX that is exactly what I am looking for..., if you find the article, could you scan it ? Would be great.

Just did again a comparison between the two: The Accuphase plays in a more musical, organical way, the music is simly there, while the F3 (at ma speakers...I know that these kind of amps are highly dependant on the speakers) is more technical, sounding like a transistor...
Old 20th March 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Is this the same review? This one is online, and free after providing an email address.
http://www.avguide.com/products/product-3663

Hide this!Advertise here!