anyone tried up aleph x input impedance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anyone? is no one can anyone put me in right direction. I think many people would like to conect high impedanse sources(like tube dac) and have the same problem. I was very surprise that 10V rms(!) output (manufacturer claims 5V rms non HDCD and 10V Rms HDCD)are so weak comparing to 2V RMS low output impedanse ordinary opa amps dac. not speaking about muddy ,undynamic,not controled bass..

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
elviukai said:
anyone? is no one can anyone put me in right direction. I think many people would like to conect high impedanse sources(like tube dac) and have the same problem. I was very surprise that 10V rms(!) output (manufacturer claims 5V rms non HDCD and 10V Rms HDCD)are so weak comparing to 2V RMS low output impedanse ordinary opa amps dac. not speaking about muddy ,undynamic,not controled bass..

which schematic exactly?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
elviukai said:
its my vesion of aleph x . looks like kristijan and grey 100W amps. I using 220kohm resitors instead 100kohm to have better input sensitivity.
lets say it is kristijan schematic, only 100kohm changet to 220kohm. what direction to go when replacing 10kohm input resistors with 20-23kohm?

input impedance is roughly sum of two series resistors (+ and - side);
you can up them to ,say, 27 K -but you must scale up 100K resistors for same factor (2,7x) . Also you must scale up (2,7x ) 10K resistors from inputs to gnd.

after that you need to scale down (2,7x) 10pF caps across (now) 270K resistors

try it like that-and if you have some problems with sensitivity, we will re-think what to do;

thanks ,

so I marked resitors in schematic 1/2/3 respectively. so if I change R1 to 23kohm I will need also change 230kohm(which I already have 220kohm in circuit anyway) and also r3 to 23kohm??

Attachments

• www.jpg
    www.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 231
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
elviukai said:
thanks ,

so I marked resitors in schematic 1/2/3 respectively. so if I change R1 to 23kohm I will need also change 230kohm(which I already have 220kohm in circuit anyway) and also r3 to 23kohm??

yup

1 and 3 to -you say-23K
2 you already have 220K

both 10pf to 3p9 if needed (best to see with CRO)

if you still need more sensitivity- increase 2 to 470K and decrease caps to 2p2............:bigeyes:

in your boots-I'll make decent preamp

Elviukai-

Do you have an oscilloscope?

I found using a high input impedence caused a phase variation between the channels of my aleph-mini amp. It was only a few degrees at 20kHZ, but could be seen very clearly at 100kHZ.

I don't know if it was from bad devices, or if this might be typical of all the amps, (unless someone took the time to match input devices in circuit).

If you do have a scope, once you have implemented Choky's resistor values, just feed the same signal to both channels and check the signal at the gates of the input devices to make sure it matches. Check both positives against each other at the same time, then both negatives.

Nelson Pass said:
Not by much, as it turns out.

:cool:

It's not a deal killer to most people. Just thought I'd throw it in. Stuff like that bothers me, but I realize that I'm in a distinct minority in my quest for wide bandwidth (preferably accomplished with little or no NFB--any idiot can get wide bandwidth with oodles of NFB).
Note for the record that I prefer higher input impedances whenever possible--a holdover from my tube days--but that bandwidth matters more to me now than high impedance. If I've got a circuit that, like most of the Aleph variants, starts rolling off ca. 100kHz and I do something that drops that to 80kHz I stop and ask myself just how badly I want that modification of the circuit. I nearly always go back to the 100kHz version.
Someday I'll discover a definitive explanation as to why it takes a solid state circuit with 250kHz bandwidth to sound as open as a tube piece with 50kHz bandwidth. It's not logical that it should be so, but if audio were that cut and dried, it probably wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.