H Type Balanced Attenuator. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2007, 09:39 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

this would work. The only problem (for me) would be the programming of the PIC.

GeeVee,

why are you confused? The series resistors are easily within 1% wich is a lot better than any pot I know of and in dB a very small error.

If in option A the pots are not exaxtly the same you will also have a difference. This will be bigger than in the balanced version (have a look at the Borbely website for an explanation).

Where the wiper is connected is not important. The pot is connected as a variable resistor between the +out and -out.

The Dantimax volume controls can not be used for option B, only for option A . What could work is if you use the ladder option (24 step) with different resistors.

William
Old 16th July 2008, 01:48 PM   #22
Berry is offline Berry  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default unbalanced preamp

I would like to convert the unbalanced signal from my preamp to an balanced one. What is the best schematic ?, are there better ones ? It is for the Aleph 5
Attached Images
File Type: gif converter.gif (15.2 KB, 874 views)
Old 16th July 2008, 05:39 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Re: unbalanced preamp

Quote:
Originally posted by Berry
I would like to convert the unbalanced signal from my preamp to an balanced one. What is the best schematic ?, are there better ones ? It is for the Aleph 5
You actually might like to consider building the BOSOZ preamp. It's an easy circuit and handles balanced/unbalanced conversions very nicely. There are also less components in the signal path.

The level of effort would be roughly comparable. With a little more work there are the other BOSOZ variants with X topology and CCS.

-David
Old 16th July 2008, 08:05 PM   #24
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: unbalanced preamp

Quote:
Originally posted by Berry
I would like to convert the unbalanced signal from my preamp to an balanced one. What is the best schematic ?

If you want to do it with OpAmps and DiffAmps here is the one that I used few times. This one might not be the best, but it won't be easy to find a better sounding one.
First chip is just a buffer and there's a plethora of good circuits to choose from, though it should be capable of driving a low Z input of diff. amp - OPA1632 - here you can also use the THS4131 (same pinout as OPA1632) or any discreet circuit you like - you'll find a lot of them on this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: gif unbal2bal.gif (19.5 KB, 906 views)
Old 17th July 2008, 06:39 PM   #25
Berry is offline Berry  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I started a new thread, balanced/unbalanced preamplifier. In the zip file there are three schematics, are those better ?
balanced/unbalanced preamplifier

Hide this!Advertise here!