Aleph X , FirstWatt, ALeph P and so on.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2007, 08:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph X , FirstWatt, ALeph P and so on..

Hi to everybody!

Since i'm not a navigated user of this forum and i'm just starting now to build something (thanks Nelson Pass)....
....i 'm getting a little confused with all this versions of preamplifier and amplifier.

So, I felt the need to open a new thread that has the aim to make a little resume of all the product here released.

I'm actually building a P1.7 without remote control....and i'm already looking forward to see what amp i can match with it.

Could we make a little list , sorted with preferences and with the description of output power- balanced-unbalanced topology- range of class A operation?

Hope this post will help noobies like me!!

Best Regars,
Stefano.
Old 9th March 2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Stefano,

Differences in topologies are easily found on Nelson's sites when downloading the user- and service manuals.
As for the preferences, I can only recommend reading other topics from members who build or listened to one or more of Nelson's designs.
Here's something that might help as a starter:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...46#post1152546

/Hugo
Old 9th March 2007, 10:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks...the post was usefull!

Infact...this 3d was directed to people that built and listened to this amp and pre.
Plus....the service manual on the nelson's site are not available...and so....

So i hope that people whit building experience and....of course.... Mr. Pass... will post this thread whith their opinion.
Old 9th March 2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The user manuals contain the most important specs.

/Hugo
Old 9th March 2007, 02:08 PM   #5
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You have to realise that whatever you build of Mr. Pass's amps, it will sound good. The differences are mostly small and is based on things like if you prefer a little more details or a warmer, lusher sound I didnt build one that sounded bad yet Here is my list, in order of preference. The ratings are given only within the Pass range of amps. If other brands should be considered, all the Pass amps would be in the superb category

1) (and 2) is a split decision between the Babbelfish and the Aleph-X. The Babbelfish has the silky smooth J-fet sweetness in the topend, the Aleph-X counters with a little firmer bottomend and not really lacking in the topend. Your call.
Combine the two, and you have a winner
Both are rated as superb.

3) ZenV9. Great amp with the J-fet fingerprint (sweet topend), but "only" a 15 watter. Rated superb.

4) Aleph 5. Good solid overall performance. At 60 Watt's it will drive most speakers. Very musical.
Rated, very good.

5) ZenV4. Mostly equal to the Aleph 5 in sound, but at 25 watt's.
I suggest to implement the Bluesbuffer, to give it a notch upwards.
Rated, very good.

6) Zen1 and brothers. I wouldnt build the Zen1, given that the ZenV9 is on hand. The Zen1 sounds great though, especially if you build a better powersupply for it. But do read the papers!
Rated Good.

If you have half-efficient speakers, you can safely choose the ZenV9.
Needing more wattage, you might have to move on to the Babbelfish or the Aleph-X.
I only commented on amps that I did built. I built more, but they fall into the general categorys or I wasnt able to give a good account of its performance. ( Mainly the F2, for wich I didnt have decent speakers, at the time)
They are all true class A, so prepare for some big heatsinks
Preamp mostly used is a Twisted BosoZ (with all the X's CCS's CC's and so on) You would have to put a gun to my head, to make me part with it. (or maybe a J-fet thing )

Steen
Old 9th March 2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.

I have built some of amps with satisfaction.
And, I heard that the other amps are also good.

Just for fun, I collected all names here.
Just for fun, choose one line at the top as I did.
Follow down the line. Bingo!

Have your nice weekend!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf list of good amps.pdf (25.8 KB, 248 views)
Old 9th March 2007, 02:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

by the way (steenoe) your implementation if the Aleph X is awesome....congrats!

That's what i'm looking forward one day....to be able to buils at leas one half of you do!
Old 9th March 2007, 03:06 PM   #8
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
to be able to buils at leas one half of you do!
Only takes a little elbow grease and determination
Whatever you choose to build, make it dual mono. From the AC inlet, I had the best results with dualmono The soundstage seems to suffer from a left/right shared psu!

Steen

Oh, thanks about the Aleph-X It will stay in the mainsystem for a long time. You would have to search hard for a better sounding amp. Especially with my ineffecient speakers
Old 9th March 2007, 03:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

you are very modest.

I will follow your suggestion ..
Old 9th March 2007, 08:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

...i meant Humble befor (i said modest....but i guess it's not the right english word...eheheh!!)

as soon as i will be done with the aleph p1.7 i will head for the Aleph X.

So you know if this pre can match the sound and the electrical characteristics of that power amplifier?

Hide this!Advertise here!