Aleph X , FirstWatt, ALeph P and so on..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to everybody!

Since i'm not a navigated user of this forum and i'm just starting now to build something (thanks Nelson Pass)....
....i 'm getting a little confused with all this versions of preamplifier and amplifier.

So, I felt the need to open a new thread that has the aim to make a little resume of all the product here released.

I'm actually building a P1.7 without remote control....and i'm already looking forward to see what amp i can match with it.

Could we make a little list , sorted with preferences and with the description of output power- balanced-unbalanced topology- range of class A operation?

Hope this post will help noobies like me!!

Best Regars,
Stefano.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stefano,

Differences in topologies are easily found on Nelson's sites when downloading the user- and service manuals.
As for the preferences, I can only recommend reading other topics from members who build or listened to one or more of Nelson's designs.
Here's something that might help as a starter:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1152546#post1152546

/Hugo

thanks...the post was usefull!

Infact...this 3d was directed to people that built and listened to this amp and pre.
Plus....the service manual on the nelson's site are not available...and so....

So i hope that people whit building experience and....of course.... Mr. Pass... will post this thread whith their opinion.

You have to realise that whatever you build of Mr. Pass's amps, it will sound good. The differences are mostly small and is based on things like if you prefer a little more details or a warmer, lusher sound:) I didnt build one that sounded bad yet;) Here is my list, in order of preference. The ratings are given only within the Pass range of amps. If other brands should be considered, all the Pass amps would be in the superb category:)

1) (and 2) is a split decision between the Babbelfish and the Aleph-X. The Babbelfish has the silky smooth J-fet sweetness in the topend, the Aleph-X counters with a little firmer bottomend and not really lacking in the topend. Your call.
Combine the two, and you have a winner:D
Both are rated as superb.

3) ZenV9. Great amp with the J-fet fingerprint (sweet topend), but "only" a 15 watter. Rated superb.

4) Aleph 5. Good solid overall performance. At 60 Watt's it will drive most speakers. Very musical.
Rated, very good.

5) ZenV4. Mostly equal to the Aleph 5 in sound, but at 25 watt's.
I suggest to implement the Bluesbuffer, to give it a notch upwards.
Rated, very good.

6) Zen1 and brothers. I wouldnt build the Zen1, given that the ZenV9 is on hand. The Zen1 sounds great though, especially if you build a better powersupply for it. But do read the papers!
Rated Good.

If you have half-efficient speakers, you can safely choose the ZenV9.
Needing more wattage, you might have to move on to the Babbelfish or the Aleph-X.
I only commented on amps that I did built. I built more, but they fall into the general categorys or I wasnt able to give a good account of its performance. ( Mainly the F2, for wich I didnt have decent speakers, at the time)
They are all true class A, so prepare for some big heatsinks:D
Preamp mostly used is a Twisted BosoZ (with all the X's CCS's CC's and so on) You would have to put a gun to my head, to make me part with it. (or maybe a J-fet thing:) )

Steen:)

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
I have built some of amps with satisfaction.
And, I heard that the other amps are also good.

Just for fun, I collected all names here.
Just for fun, choose one line at the top as I did.
Follow down the line. Bingo!

Have your nice weekend!

:darkside:

Attachments

• list of good amps.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 284
to be able to buils at leas one half of you do!
Only takes a little elbow grease and determination:D
Whatever you choose to build, make it dual mono. From the AC inlet, I had the best results with dualmono:) The soundstage seems to suffer from a left/right shared psu!

Steen:)

Oh, thanks about the Aleph-X:) It will stay in the mainsystem for a long time. You would have to search hard for a better sounding amp. Especially with my ineffecient speakers:)

...i meant Humble befor (i said modest....but i guess it's not the right english word...eheheh!!):cool:

as soon as i will be done with the aleph p1.7 i will head for the Aleph X.

So you know if this pre can match the sound and the electrical characteristics of that power amplifier?

another newbie...

Hi,

nice thread for the newbies here, thanks Stefano!

I have spent some time cruisin' this Forum, read some of the manuals and surf the web to find out which of Mr. Pass designs would be best for my needs. To make the long story short, I was thinking Aleph X or Babbelfish, maybe more likely the X...

Now with Steens great round up posted above, I'm pretty sure the Aleph X would be it - thanks Steen! - but there is one question left, I have some experience in speaker building (including xo design and messurements etc.) and I'm just about to finish my first amp project, but a chipamp kit where there is not much you can do wrong, so nothing compared to an Aleph I'd say PLUS the Aleph X is not the most simple N.P. design out there ... so my biggest concern is; is there a good chance that a newbie like me will get a decent result building this amp or is this just a bit over the top ... ?

be honest guys, I can take it...

best,
martin

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: another newbie...

lovechild said:
......................... is there a good chance that a newbie like me will get a decent result building this amp or is this just a bit over the top ... ?

be honest guys, I can take it...

best,
martin

most critical things in building any Papa's amp are same as for any Gainclone..........grounding issues mostly.

I say-go for NP's amp , even if someone say that benefits are not big as difference in price (mostly for heatsinks) ;
hey- but fun factor can't cpmpare between this two ........and I'll not say that for my ears chip amp can't compare

Dear choky, although I would say there's a bit more into building an Aleph from a pcb and a BOM than assembling a chipamp kit that came with all parts - not to speak of things like matching transistors and so on... I'm absolutely with you, it's about the fun factor!

...and one could say BIG heatsinks are part of that fun :D

hmmm, I almost ready to say GO! Now the next thing would be finding a set of reasonably priced pcbs ... the last group buy is long gone and the only I found are ~90 euros a pair at kk-pcb.com :bigeyes:

best,
martin

Bobowana

You forgot the A-75....

JJ

And to answer lovechilds question, I like my Aleph much better than the A-75, although the A-75 produces much better bass. The aleph has a much clearer and more detailed midrange.

If you do build one of these amps, get a good power supply schematic, follow it carefully, and by all means connect the earth ground to the chassis....(if that is standard practice in your country, I know some countries don't use separate earth grounds.)

The A-75 articles and the Zen articles all have good power supply schematics.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lovechild said:
Dear choky, although I would say there's a bit more into building an Aleph from a pcb and a BOM than assembling a chipamp kit that came with all parts - not to speak of things like matching transistors and so on... I'm absolutely with you, it's about the fun factor!

...and one could say BIG heatsinks are part of that fun :D

hmmm, I almost ready to say GO! Now the next thing would be finding a set of reasonably priced pcbs ... the last group buy is long gone and the only I found are ~90 euros a pair at kk-pcb.com :bigeyes:

best,
martin

I hope that I'll solve Paypal account makin' pains in few days ;( (somehow I have impression that this will last forever)

then you can contact me if you want (I repeat IF you want) Babelfish pcbs,mebbe even with pair of 2SJ109......

sorry if this is blameless and OT here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.