F4 power amplifier

Hi All,

Getting close to finishing my dual mono F4 clone. It's only been powered up for about an hour and I was listening to it for 15 min or so. Sounds great with the tube pre-amp that is also mostly done. I'm going to let the F4 run a few hours on the bench and re-adjust the bias and offset in preparation for a full listening session tonight. HP339 is saying THD: ~0.0078% at 1 watt into 8 ohm. Real number is likely lower than that as I think the notch filter on the HP needs some work.

The case is the diyaudio deluxe 4u.

Anyway, thanks to Papa and everyone else for all the info you've posted to this site. Without it I'd still be listening to store bought stuff.

Attachments

• DSC00121 (1024x768).jpg
    DSC00121 (1024x768).jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
Here's a question for ya

Look at the second waveform in my picture, 1st post (1st waveform is 1khz input). This is the HP distortion monitor output. This the signal sent to the meter after the notch filter. See how much fundamental frequency is in the signal? Shouldn't that have been removed? and isn't it throwing my measurements off?

thx

lacking B3 , best thing for now is combining BA3 Balanced front end with input buffer-less balanced F4 .........
This would be another way to raise the voltage, at least to the max voltage of the BA-3 front end, whether running balanced or SE.

Out of curiosity, would this be achieved by omitting R1-4, Q1-2, D3-4? What about C1-2, still needed?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Has anyone ever posted an F4 schematic with cascoded JFETs? This could be interesting to see alongside the recent F5 Turbo excitement. F4 Turbo V1?

probably yes ; pretty trivial ( read - cut'n'paste jobie)

...... R1-4, Q1-2, D3-4? What about C1-2,.......

speaking of which schematic , exactly ?

I built my headphone amp using attached schematic - also added Jensen JT-123-ALCF as Nelson recommended as interstage transformer (posts 3397 -3400.)

I was just kindly gifted some 2Sk2013s and 2Sj313s. Can they replace the IRF510s and IRF 9510s? I have these currently biased at 350mA

As always thanks.

Bob

Attachments

• hdphnf4r0.jpg
    hdphnf4r0.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 448