F4 power amplifier

F4

Ok, so after a week of listening then putting al together, I LOVE THIS AMP, very VERY good detail. It is dead A$-$ Quiet, I have to admit it, they are quieter then my aleph mini's ) I'm talking about noise ratio and humms : there is literally NONE!

Pure sound, I should build another.

The one bad thing, DAM THEY GET HOT.

Attachments

• f41.jpg
    f41.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,041
carpenter said:
I'm considering the possibility of separating the power rails to the Mosfets from the jfets, and running the Mosfets at higher voltages than the jfets--about twice as much voltage, actually. Water cooling will be useful.

would be good, however loud and just a pain for me..

Re: F4

jleaman said:
Ok, so after a week of listening then putting al together, I LOVE THIS AMP, very VERY good detail. It is dead A$-$ Quiet, I have to admit it, they are quieter then my aleph mini's ) I'm talking about noise ratio and humms : there is literally NONE!

Pure sound, I should build another.

The one bad thing, DAM THEY GET HOT.

Do you have any idea how hot ? Firt my aleph 5's where hot but then i touched the sinks of a pair of xa100 at my work, they where even hotter so no problemo ! around 60 degree. Nice amp btw

i just turned bias to 300mv tho so shes a little cooler

Hmm... why don't you just set bias to 200 or 250mV (schm. related)... I can't hear any sonic difference if i crank mine up to e.g. 300 (schm. i used is the 250mV bias) Later changes's in F4 schm. the gate resistor's (among other canges too) change and bias go down to 200mV.

You really have to have the F4 turned on, for some time, and adjusting the DC-offset, when she is thermic stable (mine 2... are 1,5hour to become 100% stable), having at this time a temperature of ~40-45 C - with 250mV bias meassured on pwr. resistors.

All this is vere important i think. I leaved mine two monoblocks playing when having a party not so long ago, for around 12hour's ... still having the same temperature... Jleaman, i think that its your'e real goal for now (judging by the size of your'e heatsink's i don't think you should go further than the described bias)

Jesper.

Help?

I fired one channel of my new F4 up this afternoon and I can't seem to get the bias up into range. With P1 maxed out I am only able to get about 55 mv across the bias resistors. I checked the value on P1 (5k) and the components around it and everything seems to be correct. The DC offset is easily set, and the amp is passing a signal just fine. Ideas of where to look first?

DaveM