F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
spencer said:

I do not have 220uF capacitor handy for C4 and C5 and I am now using a 330uF capacitor. Is that fine? Yes the drift of DC at out put is easily adjusted within 10mV. The drift is mainly on the bias of the mosfet when the amp warms up (from 0.3A till 0.5x A per fet).

Spencer

sometimes even your ( or mine- whatever) fancy schmancy 220uF elco have enough tolerance to approach 330uF in real life ;
accent is on "sometimes" , but that's the fact.
so- why worry........ at least not in that position ............
:devilr: just use same specimens in sym. positions

cviller said:

If you had read the thread you would know that "some guy" from Lowther-America has compared them already. It is pointless to keep asking questions already answered in this thread - it is too long already!

Thank you for the comments, I had read the thread, especially this one (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1260712#post1260712), i reckon is the one you refer to, but was hoping to get a bit more from a comparison between the F1 and the F4. Kind regards

Joined 2004
Paid Member
F1 vs F2 vs F3 vs F4

This is the post comparing the F1-F2-F3-F4 amps:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1152546#post1152546

Quote:

The F4 sounds like a cross between the F1 and the F3. Cleaner than the F2, a touch of sweetness, but the truth is still front and center. I have not heard this amp in my system (yet), so my thoughts about this may change. It is a very exciting product.

F1 vs F4 Bass

I use the F1 for basses (20hz - 630hz). I'm happy (very) with it only that in some instances in somehow lacks the power for the woofer. I'm considering changing for the F4. Since you have listened both amps, what are the main differences between both F1 & F4 listening wise ?

Hi Nicola:

An impossible question. Because the F1 is a current source, and the F4 is a voltage source, a bass system designed for the F1 would not work well with the F4, and one that works well with the F4 would not work will with the F1.

That being said, both have worked very well in bass note reproduction when used with an appropriate speaker. The F1, because of its lower power, would work best with hi-efficiency woofers. If you are having a power shortage, I would certainly consider using the F4 in bridged mode where you can get a up to 100 watts of power.

F4 going to finish and now under bias adjust.....

Attachments

• dsc_4162m.jpg
    dsc_4162m.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,196
Re: F1 vs F4 Bass

twitchie said:
This is the post comparing the F1-F2-F3-F4 amps:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1152546#post1152546
Jon Ver Halen said:

Hi Nicola:

An impossible question. Because the F1 is a current source, and the F4 is a voltage source, a bass system designed for the F1 would not work well with the F4, and one that works well with the F4 would not work will with the F1.

That being said, both have worked very well in bass note reproduction when used with an appropriate speaker. The F1, because of its lower power, would work best with hi-efficiency woofers. If you are having a power shortage, I would certainly consider using the F4 in bridged mode where you can get a up to 100 watts of power.

Many thanks for the comment. This is exactly what i'm trying to find out. The woofers are around 99db, but if I compare the F1 with a classical voltage 20 or 40w class A amps, with some instruments it seems to lack the headroom, like there is a more limited power available especially with chords / piano / cello - where the instrument is fast in its attack. But on the other side none of the voltage amps have this control... so as you wrote it is like strawberry or vanila... Kind regards

Specs from woofer are
SPL: 99dB enclosed in box reaches 105db 1m / 1w +- 2bd
Fc: 43 Hz (Qes: 0,34, Qts: 0,33, Qms: 10,5, VAS: 231, Re: 4,8 Ohm ,EPB: 126,5)