F4 power amplifier

Actually the MF A1 has specs that says 2 x 20W into 8 ohm Class A, but im sertain they only go about 8-10W in Class A...

The Audiovector 4 have been put away in my basement and have been replaced with a pair of B&W Matrix 801 Series 2

I know they should be rated as having a sencitivity at 96dB/1m/ 8w

I somehow am pretty sure that the are harder to drive than that, so if someone have some real life specs on my new used babys. :cannotbe:

But i can actually turn the knob almost to 11 o'clock before the sound turns muddy and uncomfortable.

Just before that it is actually pretty loud, but not as loud as i would like it to be for some sorts of music (read.. Roger Waters, Dire Straits, Thin Lizzy, Midnight Oil, Queen...etc...) :D

have you headphone output on your CD player?

try to feed Babelfish from that output,just for test.....then tell us what you hear.

I just tried that :) Look's like we have a winner here !

The soundpressure, is louder now, maybe 3/5 maybe even a little more !!! Of what the speaker's usually are playing when driving near to the max, with my leachamp. So i guess Magura is right when telling me, that the preamp is the problem.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lykkedk said:

I just tried that :) Look's like we have a winner here !

The soundpressure, is louder now, maybe 3/5 maybe even a little more !!! Of what the speaker's usually are playing when driving near to the max, with my leachamp. So i guess Magura is right when telling me, that the preamp is the problem.

correction:

"So i guess steen is right when telling me, that the preamp is the problem
:devilr:

anyway-change the spks

:darkside:

A30 vs F4

I am attempting to build the F4 point to point. Waiting for parts from tech diy, the rest I sourced from digikey. Has anyone compared the A30 to the F4, and what would the differences be? I would assume less gain with the F4; and perhaps more transparency? With my fostex fe108ez-mcm 8"combo horn I have lots of power with the A30 and very enjoyable.:)

Actually i was looking at youre post,but it doesent come clear to me, how much current / voltage each mosfet must swallow :hot:

I am just preparing a setup for matching mosfets... Se this LINK

So i would just like to know the voltage / current, for correct matching. (And to test the heatdissapation too)

Jesper :)

lykkedk said:
I am just preparing a setup for matching mosfets... Se this LINK

So i would just like to know the voltage / current, for correct matching. (And to test the heatdissapation too)

Jesper :)

About the matching, unless you let your devices reach temperature equilibrium, the timing is crucial. You need to run the devices for the same amount of time. I doubt it will be a good idea to use a heatsink, since it will take ages to heat up and make it harder for you to ensure consistency in your measurements.

CViller.

I would like to try something out, about the heatdissapation :eek: About the matching i know that i will have to wait the same time every mosfet.

But I am still not getting this clear :xeye: If 250mV is flowing through the 0,47ohm resistor it sure gives the 500mA, but then if the mosfet is run at 10v it's only about 50w each, is that right ? Sorry i can't see this as easy as you can :cool:

lykkedk said:

But I am still not getting this clear :xeye: If 250mV is flowing through the 0,47ohm resistor it sure gives the 500mA, but then if the mosfet is run at 10v it's only about 50w each, is that right ? Sorry i can't see this as easy as you can :cool:

You have 3 N-channels each running at 0.5A and 22.75V and the same goes for the P-channel devices. (If you have 23V rails)

Does that answer your question?

lykkedk said:
CViller.

I would like to try something out, about the heatdissapation :eek: About the matching i know that i will have to wait the same time every mosfet.

Jesper, the 10V is the value that the smaller fets are matched with (IRF610). Usually the 240's are matched at around 13-15V. You can choose to match them at 0,5A if you like, just adjust the series resistor accordingly. This would be closer to real life for Fet's, sitting in a F4.

Steen:)

Yes, tnanx Cviller, but i throught they was run at 10v each...

Well thats gives me a 11watt heatdissapation continuesly. My setup is with a 10ohm resistor which gives about 22watt running at 15v, is it ok, to lover the voltage to e.g 11v when matching, for getting about 11watt ?

lykkedk said:
is it ok, to lover the voltage to e.g 11v when matching, for getting about 11watt ?

Sure it is. What you do is you find a suitable psu with a voltage X and your transistor will take about 4V from that and the you find the needed series resitance R to get the correct current Y.

R=(X-4V)/Y

In your case:

R=(11V-4V)/0.5A = 14ohm

I tried to make an experiment, with some 'U' shaped 230x50x50x4 Alu. profiles.

The output voltage from a 5A PSU is 12.65, when loaded.
The Series resistor is 9,5Ohm which gives me 12,65v-4v / 9,5Ohm = 0,9A load for the mosfet.
The series resistor swallow 6v and gives the resistor a load of 6v / 9,5Ohm = 0,63A, which is not important in this case...

Please tell me, if i am wrong here :angel: