F4 power amplifier

carpenter said:

Count the total turns of your pot and divide by two?

BTW, you'll chuckle if you reread the original posts........

Yup i have done this still problems, one side of the fets warm up and the other doesn't. i ca hear it pulling current too, because my variac is humming :( and the thermistor is getting HOT.

carpenter said:

Using your variac, turn on the amp a little (assuming P2 is centered) and measure voltage at power fet gates. I would imagine it should match.

Measured from the psu and then measured from the gate, its the same on all.

I looked it up and the IRFP240 go like this, left to right GDS :)

Here we go, i just powered it up a little and im getting 1V across the 3watt resistors.

and still only one bank of fets is getting hot, one side. Weird.

Sorry just changed the picture didn't notice that the one i just posted was blurry.

Attachments

• f4's.jpg
    f4's.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 804
I think i have figure this out, GRRR,

On peter's boards See attached picture, you will see C5 & C6, they tie grount together into the circuit, when i was asking LONG ago what i should put in here people were saying it just something extra however i can leave them out, so i did, looking at the board as i was just assembling the other board i saw that gnd at that end of the board was not even tied to the circuit :( so i wonder if i should use the ground near the input then ? or should i put something into C5 & C6 ?

Attachments

• attachment-1.gif
    attachment-1.gif
    36.5 KB · Views: 705
jleaman said:
On peter's boards See attached picture, you will see C5 & C6, they tie grount together into the circuit, when i was asking LONG ago what i should put in here people were saying it just something extra however i can leave them out, so i did, looking at the board as i was just assembling the other board i saw that gnd at that end of the board was not even tied to the circuit :( so i wonder if i should use the ground near the input then ? or should i put something into C5 & C6 ?

That ground connection is only when C5/C6 are installed, otherwise it's not being used. I explained it here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1324572#post1324572