F4 power amplifier - Page 55 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2007, 12:43 AM   #541
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It's a great trick that I have seen implemented before, to build a chimp amp into a class A amp chassis as well. Then you will be able to have background music that dosn't require 300W+

Magura
Old 8th May 2007, 04:48 AM   #542
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

That's a cool idea, Magura. BTW how's the amp coming?

Old 8th May 2007, 10:06 AM   #543
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

@Veteran

sorry to hijack this thread, but you don't seem to reply to emails and neither respond to the Zen#9 group buy thread, where people would be very much interested in another group buy!

Is any planned? If not, could you please say so? Otherwise people are just waiting and hoping...it's here:

PC Boards for v9?

In case you're not doing another run, could I maybe have the gerber files? It's such a nice pcb artwork!

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Hannes
Old 8th May 2007, 11:54 AM   #544
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carpenter
That's a cool idea, Magura. BTW how's the amp coming?

I'm not too happy to admit this....

I got around to testing the inductor theory IRL last week, it seems that I get about 50% extra inductivity by winding parallel air cores the bifilar way.

As for the amps...ouch, not good....there is a woman that have been taking up an awful big part of my spare time latly. I have made the PCB's but I havn't gotten around to testing them. Things are though not at a complete halt, but just moving real slow

Magura
Old 8th May 2007, 03:06 PM   #545
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Some things move slow, but other things move real fast? Isn't love grand?!

Tell me more about the parallel, bifilar cores. You can go to my ZV7-T thread if you don't want to be accused of hijacking.

John
Old 8th May 2007, 04:10 PM   #546
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default Matched

I hope this is not a stupid question, but does the F4 have to have 3 IRFP9240's and 3 IRFP240's ?

Can it be all the same of one or can they all be the same ?
Old 8th May 2007, 04:24 PM   #547
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
You can still delete that question and I think it's better if you do
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th May 2007, 04:48 PM   #548
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
You can still delete that question and I think it's better if you do
Or you can answer it
Old 8th May 2007, 05:02 PM   #549
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Matched

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Can it be all the same of one or can they all be the same ?
NO, they cannot.

Think about the P.S.: it's dual, it has a + and - rail. Thus you need N channel and P channel devices. It's mandatory for a push-pull circuit!
Old 8th May 2007, 05:03 PM   #550
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twitchie
I got my F4 (original circuit) wired up last night and just as with CVILLER's first attempt, my heatsinks are cold. Please forgive the newbie questions, but can anyone please let me know some points to measure/check?

I was able to adjust DC offset properly, and measured 6.97V across D1 and D2 (zeners). I used all the exact values from the original PDF, except for 2N4736 zeners, where I used 1N4736 (someone said the 2N was a typo and should actually be a 1N).

I also have to admit I got lazy/anxious to get this powered up, so I have 1 channel with a dead 2SJ74 after running +- 26V through that channel (when toshiba says 25V max, they mean 25V max). Currently, I'm holding the voltage down to 22V with a small variac in front of the PSU (400VA capacity variac).

Thanks,

Stephen
Update: Actually, it turns out the problem wasn't with running 26V through the amp - the JFETS are fine (so far) with this voltage, it was a incomplete etch in the source resistor and output device that caused one of the source resistors to overheat (it turned red and discoloured). With both amp boards connected, I measured the PSU output at around 23V on both + and - sides.

Hide this!Advertise here!