Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F4 power amplifier
F4 power amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2018, 08:13 PM   #4401
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
Got it, missed that bit from the datasheet.
Old 21st April 2018, 09:31 PM   #4402
Jeffs is offline Jeffs  United States
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
Two questions,
I came here to ask is a single stereo Aikido 6SL7/6SN7 is lacking anything as far as powering two F4 monoblocks?

The previous page has me somewhat motivated to give the BA-3 a try. I was given the boards and have most of the inexpensive parts. Two matched quad's from the recommended seller?.
Old 21st April 2018, 10:00 PM   #4403
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
is Aikido having balanced output?
Old 21st April 2018, 11:42 PM   #4404
Jeffs is offline Jeffs  United States
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
is Aikido having balanced output?
No.
Is it not an option to put something as low tech as a Y splitter cable that would work?

If there is a thread which helps explain the BA-3 preamp with a single ended to balanced output with photo's for us old folk, well I must have really bad ADHD because I've spent months looking. It is sort of out of the question after a discussion in the last hour over finances. If I won the lottery or can sold some old equipment then I might be able to buy two sets of matched quads.

I need a phono stage within two weeks, so repurposing the Aikido for that to provide the last dB's of gain might not be a bad use of it, especially since it has no selector or volume control. I might get by through the hot months with an amp that doesn't create as much heat while I work on some of the other projects.
I never thanked you for referring me to a particular turntable project about 16 months ago but needless to say I need to show my better half where the money for the new tonearm and cable went. Maybe she still has a headache from the sound of cutting slate.

Last edited by Jeffs; 21st April 2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:32 AM   #4405
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
best and easiest way of having SE/Bal transformation is nothing else than - transformer

decent while still cheap ones - look at Edcor site , 10K variety

if you need help , just buzz here
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:33 AM   #4406
PierreQuiRoule is offline PierreQuiRoule  Canada
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
Impedance of Infinity RS-IIIb speakers (assuming this is what you are planning on using) dips below 4 ohms. So you may want to configure your F4s in "Mono parallel connections" [see manual], in which case you can connect the Aikido output using a "Y" cable as you describe.

The Aikido pre is a good match to the F4. Lots of gain, peak-to-peak swing and very quiet. I enjoy mine very much.

Pierre
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:52 AM   #4407
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
Quote:
Impedance of Infinity RS-IIIb speakers (assuming this is what you are planning on using) dips below 4 ohms. So you may want to configure your F4s in "Mono parallel connections" [see manual], in which case you can connect the Aikido output using a "Y" cable as you describe.
agree on that

F4 power amplifierHide this!Advertise here!