F4 power amplifier - Page 342 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2012, 06:57 AM   #3411
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

when touching heatsink - is it laying on the floor as pictured , or you have it properly positioned , to ensure natural airflow ?

asking , just in case .......
Old 15th July 2012, 07:12 AM   #3412
neoinc is offline neoinc  Singapore
diyAudio Member

As pictured. The heatsinks are resting on a aluminum plate laying on the floor.
Old 15th July 2012, 07:17 AM   #3413
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

hardly representative situation .

put them as intended - vertical , then try

ensure proper distance to floor (raise them at least 5cm) - they need space to breath
Old 15th July 2012, 09:11 AM   #3414
generg is online now generg  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
However the bias of some transistors especially the set of IRF240 were off by 10-40mV at around 200mV.
This value is not bad for the beginning.........!

Did you check that every pair has the 200mA......? Only to be sure.....
Old 15th July 2012, 09:52 AM   #3415
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generg View Post

Generg, I biased the minimum at 200mV on the lowest value source resistors but the other resistors will read more then 200mV up to 230mV.

Is it advisable to change a tighter set of Vgs for the transistors? i already matched them to +/-0,02V beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod
I have placed the heatsink to vertical position and yes, the heat is now bearable. more than 5secs not a issue but still this is a hot amp.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:08 AM   #3416
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generg View Post

Generg, I biased the minimum at 200mV on the lowest value source resistors but the other resistors will read more then 200mV up to 230mV.

Is it advisable to change a tighter set of Vgs for the transistors? i already matched them to +/-0,02V beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod
I have placed the heatsink to vertical position and yes, the heat is now bearable. more than 5secs not a issue but still this is a hot amp.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:11 AM   #3417
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoinc View Post

Here comes a quotation from an article Nelson wrote 1993

"By placing 1ohm source resistors on each transistor, we can assure adequate current sharing for a fairly wide range of VGS. In Class A bias, we will be operating at about 200mA/device, which will place 0.2V across each source resistor. A variation in VGS will cause the bias to be unequally distributed between the devices. For example, for a 4.6V device in parallel with a 4.5V device, the first will run at about 160mA at 6W and the second at about 240mA at 9W."

You see how big the changes are from 4.6 to 4.5V Vgs!

In this article he also describes the method to change the resistors to counteract to the differences. I think it is not necessary in your case. But if you have the will and the time....

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_matching.pdf

When I compared some FW amps to my clones and they sounded much worse it was mostly the matching effort that could bring them nearer to Nelson Originals. (but never more than 80%)

Last edited by generg; 15th July 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:52 AM   #3418
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoinc View Post

did you match them at 200mA like described in Nelson's article?
You could also follow his advice at look at one or two other points to get the more matched parts...
Old 15th July 2012, 12:25 PM   #3419
diyAudio Member

Thank you Generg, I will look through the articles and see if i can match the devices better next time. I shall not proceed further until i find matched parts. No point building a F4 if i cannot get the result at least 80% near to the orignal thing. but how do you measure this aspect? It seems most F4 builder descibe the amp characteristic to that of water. Hope i can experience it too when i fine tune mine further.
Old 15th July 2012, 01:51 PM   #3420
diyAudio Member

.....the 80% is only a guess from my side! Saying that I succeeded getting the sound close to Nelson Original after some weeks......

In the meantime I was a bit depressive and thought to buy an original from the Master.....

and mind the Input J-fets too, I would suggest in this place an Idss of 10mA for the K170 and J74.

Hide this!Advertise here!