F4 power amplifier - Page 340 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2012, 11:39 PM   #3391
diyAudio Member

The Sowter mic input transformers for sale in swap meet would be a good inexpensive try at the concept. Sowter is a quality brand $30 can tb ebeat anywhere. If you like it, then you get to have fun trying different ones to find the perfect one. Ill be trying the sowter as soon as i get them.
Old 25th June 2012, 06:16 PM   #3392
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocchini View Post
Choky as you said

"- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say ."

With your schematic as reference would it be possible to connect transformer between junction of R4/R3 and junction of C1/C2.

I would use Jack Ellianos PVA2-N as generg favored it in post 23 of MAGMA thread - Introducing the MAGMA front end for BA-2 and F4

I believe it could also be wired as an autoformer. Cost is nice as 4 of these would be less than the Lundahls

Cost of the Sowters buzzforb recommends if appropriate are even better. Haven't heard back from seller.

Thanks

Bob
Old 25th June 2012, 06:26 PM   #3393
diyAudio Member

He is out of town for the week. Patience comes to those who wait.
Old 25th June 2012, 06:36 PM   #3394
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocchini View Post
Choky as you said

"- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say ."

With your schematic as reference would it be possible to connect transformer between junction of R4/R3 and junction of C1/C2.

I would use Jack Ellianos PVA2-N as generg favored it in post 23 of MAGMA thread - Introducing the MAGMA front end for BA-2 and F4

I believe it could also be wired as an autoformer. Cost is nice as 4 of these would be less than the Lundahls

Thanks

Bob

for your balanced F4 can iteration , you need xformer with center tapped secondary , or in other words - with two section secondary

either that , or using one xformer per leg ...... which isn't smartest thing if you can choose

I don't know does PVA2-N have CT secondary
Old 25th June 2012, 08:43 PM   #3395
diyAudio Member

either that , or using one xformer per leg ...... which isn't smartest thing if you can choose

Choky

Is this not wise because of the variation of one transformer to the other?

Thanks

Bob
Old 25th June 2012, 08:57 PM   #3396
diyAudio Member

I'm living in believe that two phase balancing act is much more intimate , if happening in one magnetic circuit

one thing is , say , if you have normal M2 and you want to bridge it

another thing is if you're going to make balanced M2 from scratch
Old 25th June 2012, 09:11 PM   #3397
The one and only

Try a Jensen JT-123-ALCF as a 1:4 autoformer.

Old 25th June 2012, 10:17 PM   #3398
diyAudio Member

buzzforb - thanks for info

Choky - I understand your belief that best sound comes from one magnetic circuit

Nelson - thanks for recommendation - a couple of questions if you don't mind - remember it takes time for this to sink in my brain

Are you recommending one of the Jensens in each of my R-, R+, L+, L- legs?

Can they be connected at junction of R3/R4 (input) and junction of C1/C2 (output) on the F4 board?

I think wiring as a autoformer is grounding brown lead, connecting red and orange and using that as input, connecting yellow/ green, connecting blue/violet and using grey as output (ref http://www.jensen-transformers.com/d...s/123alcf3.pdf)

Thanks again to all and for anyone looking for a headphone amp - a balanced F4 is at the top of my list
Old 25th June 2012, 11:01 PM   #3399
diyAudio Member

two things , unfortunately :

1. I'm not Pa

2. yes , with Jensen , being xformer sans CT secondary , you must use one per leg

3. looking at schm you posted in #3390 , connection is like attached :

4. #3 and #4 are just to confuse you , considering two things mentioned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jen.jpg (20.3 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by Zen Mod; 25th June 2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: edited drek gif
Old 25th June 2012, 11:06 PM   #3400
The one and only

By that drawing, autoformer would be

BRN to GRY

VIO to BLU

GRN to YEL

RED = GROUND

ORG = OUT

BRN = IN

Correct me if I'm mistaken, ZM

Hide this!Advertise here!