F4 power amplifier - Page 339 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2012, 02:59 AM   #3381
diyAudio Member

Choky

I looked at the data sheet and believe on the input side the two primary windings should be hooked up in parallel. ( 2 and 4 connected ; 1 and 5 connected.) positive phase connected to 2/4 and negative phase to 1/5.

Alternately 1 and 4 could be grounded and positive connected to 2 and negative to 5.

On the secondary side the center taps (6,9) should be grounded as you mention in previous post and plus output connected to 7 and negative phase to 10.

With a gain of 4x the 2V RMS from DAC should be raised to 8V

Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 03:18 AM   #3382
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

what sort of signal you are using ?

ballanced ,symmetric , non-ballanced ?

if you use primaries connected in series , with CT grounded at signal side , and secondaries in series - with their CT connected to gnd at receiving side .......... you'll have both perfect symmetric balanced ........ and gain of 2:8

Old 23rd June 2012, 03:18 AM   #3383
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocchini View Post
Choky

I looked at the data sheet and believe on the input side the two primary windings should be hooked up in parallel. ( 2 and 4 connected ; 1 and 5 connected.) positive phase connected to 2/4 and negative phase to 1/5.

Alternately 1 and 4 could be grounded and positive connected to 2 and negative to 5.

On the secondary side the center taps (6,9) should be grounded as you mention in previous post and plus output connected to 7 and negative phase to 10.

With a gain of 4x the 2V RMS from DAC should be raised to 8V

Thanks
That looks ideal for the Hifimans, only gotcha would be the transformer distortion at low frequencies (which are usually worse the larger the winding ration ie gain). Would be nice to find a simple low distortion 2-4x jfet gain/buffer design to compare.
Old 23rd June 2012, 03:32 AM   #3384
diyAudio Member

well , sometimes is nice to use xformer to get rid of absolute DC offset , as is case with diff. DAC chip output

several times I found that solution better than Jfet buffers with caps in signal route

whatever - there is supplement pic to my previos post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1674.jpg (20.0 KB, 361 views)
Old 23rd June 2012, 03:36 AM   #3385
diyAudio Member

Thanks regal and Zen Mod

My input signal is balanced.

May be time to experiment
Old 23rd June 2012, 03:42 AM   #3386
diyAudio Member

off course that you can skip connecting primary CT to signal gnd side

as I'm saying frequently - gnd is just state of mind

few tips :

-depending of signal source impedance , freq. sweep will show does secondaries need some loading or not

- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say .

Last edited by Zen Mod; 23rd June 2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 23rd June 2012, 02:45 PM   #3387
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
off course that you can skip connecting primary CT to signal gnd side

as I'm saying frequently - gnd is just state of mind

few tips :

-depending of signal source impedance , freq. sweep will show does secondaries need some loading or not

- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say .
I would need drawing
Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 03:01 PM   #3388
diyAudio Member

when you choose exact xformer for first test , just say
Old 23rd June 2012, 04:07 PM   #3389
diyAudio Member

will do
Old 24th June 2012, 10:34 PM   #3390
diyAudio Member

Choky as you said

"- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say ."

With your schematic as reference would it be possible to connect transformer between junction of R4/R3 and junction of C1/C2.

I would use Jack Ellianos PVA2-N as generg favored it in post 23 of MAGMA thread - Introducing the MAGMA front end for BA-2 and F4

I believe it could also be wired as an autoformer. Cost is nice as 4 of these would be less than the Lundahls

Thanks

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdphnf4r0.jpg (49.1 KB, 309 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!