F4 power amplifier

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ch177 said:
HI
Nelson Pass

I would like to ask why the function c1 c2? Whether DC blocking it?

If c1 and c2 values will not affect too much the General Assembly high-frequency signal input it?

If I try to c1 and c2 in the 0.1uf capacitor in parallel, what will be affected?

C1 and C2 carry signal and also filter across the bias circuit. The
caps I prefer here are the Elna Silk caps, but you can stick as much
film cap across them as you like.

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Elna Silk Capacitors

RobertOder said:
What voltage rating(s) do you specify for those beautiful sounding silk capacitors? Do you use the Elnas for all four capacitors or just C1/C2?

I have a bunch of the 10 uF @ 25V. In the Digikey catalog they have
1,000 uF @ 35V. It would take quite a few in parallel, but you might
be able to make an awesomely special power supply.

They really are that good...

Need help troubleshooting - Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Just finished wiring up the F4 and was adjusting the offset & bias -

1 channel was all ok - bias & offset

For the other channel - offset was also ok.
I was also able to adjust the bias via P1, however one of the mosfets (Q5 IRFP240)was running extra hot and was found to have a voltage of 300mv across the 0.47R resistor, Q3 & Q4 are measured at 100mv across the 0.47R during that time. Unable to access R21(Q10 resistor) to measure.

The mosfets are purchased as a matched set.
What are the possible causes for this to occur - how to trouble shoot and rectify.

I do have another set of the F4 boards - should I just use the extra set? (Although it will be a pain to rewire the board and trying to match the tapped holes for the mosfets).

thanks

her shann

Nelson Pass said:
It may be that the Mosfets are not matched,

or the resistor is of a higher value than the others,

or the transistors is not well attached to the heat sink thermally.

Heat sink is warmest at the errant mosfet - so i think attachment is unlikely the issue.

Too late over here to tackle this issue - will try another day to resolve it.

thanks

her shann

Nelson Pass said:
I would place a larger value resistor on the Source, calculated to
have the same current at the difference in voltage.

PaPa Pass,

thanks for the tip!

After doing some crude calculations - If the voltage across the source resistor is 3x (at steady state) that of the other mosfets - I will have to use a resistor 3x larger (0.47x3).

Is that it? Although I may have to rig up something to test many resistor values, to trial & error.

Thanks, I will report back (in a few days time)

her shann

I have been using the F4 for quite some time and still very satisfied with the sound. Since I am able to find some Toshiba mosfets J200/K1529 and thus I have modified the F4 as in attached to use the Toshiba mosfets. I have reduce the source resistor to 0.245 ohm (0.51//0.47) due to good match of the mosfets. Below is the modification I did on the bias circuit.

The sonic of Toshiba mosfet is more refine to me especially on the mid and high frequencies.

Spencer

Attachments

• f4 mods.jpg
    f4 mods.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,380
A late builder

Should I read all the long discussion? OK I will, well I am actually, but am I allowed to ask for two questions?

1) What size for the H/S? I could recycle a pair rated at 0.33 C/W. Enough?
2) I am going for a choke input PSU (as I have a +35VAC transformer), any hint on the current each channel requires?

Thanks
Gianluca