F4 power amplifier

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
moe29 said:
Didn't you mention having the Sony SACD player in the system at one time?

Isn't it frustrating that an improved digital format hasn't emerged?

There really hasn't been much of a reason to abandon the LP after all these years...

No, I don't think so, although I have had one.

I am not frustrated by the need for an improved format - I would
be very pleased if they would simply do a decent job with Red
Book. I have heard very good CDs, and it is clear that most of
the material put out has been compressed and otherwise
damaged before it was sent to pressing.

I don't want to start out on a rant here.....

It reminds me of the variability in live concert amplification - the
Rolling Stones and Goldfrapp stood out as really good sound,
and Metallica and Thievery Corp were really bad (Just ask Variac
about Thievery sound). In the case of Stones and Metallica, it
was the same system on the same night.

And LP's are better than ever. You can get quite a bit of new
material where the contents of what the CD is spread out over
as much as 8 LP sides. They have very wide groove spacing, and
clearly they aren't monkeying with the signal nearly as much and
the sound is terrific.

BTW Blues, Sony and Philips made somewhat more modest
purchases than you speculate...

:cool:

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
SACD musically good?

I have Marantz SACD player, but never tried SACD yet. At the moment, I use another Marantz CD/DVD player for all music and movies. I was not satisfied with this universal player until I added a 6J1 (tube) cathode follower. My sound reproduction system chain is now: CD/DVD player > 6J1 cathode follower (buffer) > pre > ZV5-with jfet inputs (Babo Zen) > J-low. Mmm . . . sweet . . .

Yesterday in a high-end club, I tried another chain: Wadia > Altech tubes > JBL . . . This was also a very good chain . . .

BTW, I have no LP. When my two boys were small children, they played destroying game with my LPs. I was almost mad that time. Since then, I have given up LPs.

:darkside:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think you underestimate the economic power of audiophiles.

Things are changing - much of traditional high-end audio is
suffering, but vinyl is doing quite well, and PL sales continue to
climb.

If there isn't a good future for two channel, it will surprise me.

:cool:

I think you underestimate the economic power of audiophiles.
I notice there's a strange picture. Some of the high-end system owner don't listen much to their system, some are very busy man. Some maybe don't notice good or less good reproduction. But when they buy audio gear, they usually search for the best (a.k.a=the expensive ones). The conclusion : high end amps are not only for playing music, they are for excellent visual aesthetic and also for saying the owner's social status :D Given 2 amps sounds the same, one is cheap, the other is expensive, maybe the cheap one will not sell, the more expensive one will :D (for those people, not for those who knows the inside)

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
lumanauw said:
I notice there's a strange picture. Some of the high-end system owner don't listen much to their system, some are very busy man. Some maybe don't notice good or less good reproduction. But when they buy audio gear, they usually search for the best (a.k.a=the expensive ones). The conclusion : high end amps are not only for playing music, they are for excellent visual aesthetic and also for saying the owner's social status :D Given 2 amps sounds the same, one is cheap, the other is expensive, maybe the cheap one will not sell, the more expensive one will :D (for those people, not for those who knows the inside)

Yeah . . . and the design is the important factor for them to get the hi-end budgets or allowances from their wives. Sadly, most of them own only few SACDs of sonic test--that's all. If I were a millionaire, I would do the same. Why not!

:darkside:

What, they're afraid I'll get carpal tunnel syndrome by replying in two threads? Jeez, I've got enough things wasting my time already...the idea of twiddling my thumbs waiting for the timer to go ding! is adding insult to injury. It's hard enough to type and bottle feed a five month-old at the same time. To stick some goofy rule like that in here makes no sense--at least to me.
If there's a logical explanation, I'd like to hear it.

Grey