F4 power amplifier - Page 107 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2007, 02:43 PM   #1061
nonoise is offline nonoise  South Africa
diyAudio Member

The 35A will probably be the If rating of the bridge, the slow blow fuse is on the primary of the transformer were the current is much lower than on the secondary the maximum the bridge will see is a function of the output impedance of the secondary winding of the transformer and the // combination of the power supply CRC section and the actual load
(amplifier).

In other words much higher than 2.5 A
Old 21st August 2007, 08:10 PM   #1062
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nonoise
The 35A will probably be the If rating of the bridge, the slow blow fuse is on the primary of the transformer were the current is much lower than on the secondary the maximum the bridge will see is a function of the output impedance of the secondary winding of the transformer and the // combination of the power supply CRC section and the actual load
(amplifier).

In other words much higher than 2.5 A
I see, this makes perfect sense. Thank you!

I guess all I need is the working voltage for the 220uF capacitors. Does anyone know what the minimum would be here?
Old 21st August 2007, 08:50 PM   #1063
Jaac is offline Jaac  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cHoc

You could try http://www.clofis.nl/ and order some of their Seifert heatsinks.
Looks like some sk56 from fischer elektronik or the kl-146-200 from Seifert. Got both of them. The Fischer ones are better finished. See my photo album for the pics
Old 21st August 2007, 08:59 PM   #1064
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for the links to shops for big heatsinks in Europe.
Jaac: pretty impressive chassis you are building there! Mighty tranformer lying left to the heatsink. Your heatsinks will stand up to the task of converting all that current to heat you think?
Old 21st August 2007, 10:08 PM   #1065
Jaac is offline Jaac  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DocLorren
Thanks guys for the links to shops for big heatsinks in Europe.
Jaac: pretty impressive chassis you are building there! Mighty tranformer lying left to the heatsink. Your heatsinks will stand up to the task of converting all that current to heat you think?

The amp that you see on the photo's is the finished aleph 5 and having 40 volt dc rails drawing 2 amps thats 160 watts in idle to dissipate by the heat sinks. They get hot, not hotter then a X150.5. tomorrow i will measure the temp of my heat sinks and also of a pair of XA100 to compare with. For the F4 i think the sinks will do the job but i also have some other sinks here at my house and they are bigger and they need some cutting i think to use them for an amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afb1211.jpg (98.2 KB, 1465 views)
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:38 AM   #1066
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaac

The amp that you see on the photo's is the finished aleph 5 and having 40 volt dc rails drawing 2 amps thats 160 watts in idle to dissipate by the heat sinks. They get hot, not hotter then a X150.5. tomorrow i will measure the temp of my heat sinks and also of a pair of XA100 to compare with. For the F4 i think the sinks will do the job but i also have some other sinks here at my house and they are bigger and they need some cutting i think to use them for an amp.

I think you can build a nice x1000 with that piece

Jase
Old 22nd August 2007, 03:24 AM   #1067
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvdunhill
I guess all I need is the working voltage for the 220uF capacitors. Does anyone know what the minimum would be here? [/B]
hm, 25 V DC maybe?
Old 22nd August 2007, 04:38 PM   #1068
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer question for NP

Nelson

I've ordered a pair of the Plitron 300VA 18v trafos through the group buy. These have the"type 7" primaries which are suitable for 115v or 230v. I'm in the UK and I've just been advised that our mains is in fact 240v +/- 6%. Plitron tell me that these trafos can handle up to 230 +10%, which means they might be just about be ok for worst case of 240v+6%.

Do you use their type 7 trafos in your commercial offerings that are bound for the UK, or do use their type 5 which are configurable for 240v? (Hoping for some additional comfort from you here!)

thanks
Ian
Old 22nd August 2007, 08:41 PM   #1069
The one and only

I use the 240's, but I don't think you should worry, as Plitron
is very conservative, and besides that, we put a Thermistor
in series with the primary.

Old 22nd August 2007, 08:45 PM   #1070
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nelson.

Hide this!Advertise here!