transformer selection recommendation for aleph 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2007, 07:56 PM   #1
hc167 is offline hc167  United States
diyAudio Member

Default transformer selection recommendation for aleph 30

hi:

I am thinking of this transformer for my aleph 30. Is it gotta be too much for aleph 30? I like this transformer because it has four secondary coils so that each pair of the secondary coils can be used for one channel. that will make my aleph 30 virtually behave like dual monaural amp. but for 800VA, is it too much?

thanks a lot
Attached Files
File Type: pdf an-8420.pdf (37.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 2nd March 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I routinely use oversized transformers. Go for it.

Grey
Old 3rd March 2007, 02:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's not that much over, and you will be glad you did. Lower noise, more reserve power if you later tinker with the biasing, etc.

-David
Old 3rd March 2007, 03:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

dw8083:

what do you mean by lower the noise? do you mean larger transformer will lower the transformer hum noise? thanks a lot for your answer.
Old 3rd March 2007, 05:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi hc,

I'm glad to see you moving ahead with your amp! My experience dictates that going oversize may be a good idea. But also in my experience, the larger the toroid, the more likely it will hum physically. This is a generalization - obviously a cheap small toroid will likely be noisy as compared to a quality large toroid. Keep in mind also that the larger the toroid, the larger the inrush. If I remember correctly I'm using a 600va toroid in my a30 with the bias maxed (r? removed) - no voltage sag.

What did Nelson use? add a couple hundred VA to that and I'm sure you'll be fine.

All IMHO

marc
Old 4th March 2007, 12:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

mpmarino:

I am still in the building process. now I have to build the chassis. I may have the local machine shop custom make it for me. that will cost about $500. so other than the chassis and the circuit design. I pretty much build everything on my own, including part selection. one more thing. for the same transformer, do you know if antek will make more hum noise or plitron will has less hum noise? thanks a lot.
Old 4th March 2007, 12:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I have yet to use either brand. Everything I've done has been surplus; sometimes it works out great, sometimes not . It's cheap though, and that suits me as I have been able to build several amps on quite a low budget.

If you need anything let me know, I may be able to help. I have no toroids with that spec in stock right now however.
Old 4th March 2007, 03:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hc167
mpmarino:

I am still in the building process. now I have to build the chassis. I may have the local machine shop custom make it for me. that will cost about $500. so other than the chassis and the circuit design. I pretty much build everything on my own, including part selection. one more thing. for the same transformer, do you know if antek will make more hum noise or plitron will has less hum noise? thanks a lot.

Hi hc167,

Consider having the panels made by Frontpanel express. For my Aleph30, I had Frontpanel Express cut a large aluminum sheel to my design, found a reasonable local presision sheetmetal shop who bent it into a box, then I drilled and tapped all the holes in the heatsinks. Here's a link to the amp for a look to get a better idea of what I'm describing.

My 1st Aleph Amp

-David
Old 5th March 2007, 05:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am currently looking to purchase my transformers to build 4 Aleph amps to tri amp my speakers (2xMiniA and 2xAleph3)
this thread got my attention.

I am looking @ some transformers from antek.

mostly these transformers:

for the 2xMiniA
http://www.toroid-transformer.com/AN-5415.pdf

and

and for the 2xAleph3
http://www.toroid-transformer.com/AN-8420.pdf

what do you guys think?

would the transformers I listed be enough to power 2 amps?

i will run a little xtra bias on both amps, plenty of heatsinking, and will be driving BG Neo8, and Neo3 speakers.

I promise that one day i will have a Pass lab amp.......but its hard to find time to build, solder, tinker in my life right now
Old 5th March 2007, 03:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

dw8083:

thanks for your commend. I read your posting and I like your chassis a lot (except that your chassis is not standard 17" wide in size). frontpanel express is good source for buying panel. but the problem is if I do everything myself for the chassis, then I have to buy a drill press, and my wife will most likely complain about that. well, this is my personal problem. anyway, I have purchase the same heatsink that you have (conrad heatsink ML151.5-350) and wondering how good it is for your amp's temperature. and what is your rail voltage? thanks a lot.

Hide this!Advertise here!