transformer selection recommendation for aleph 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi:

I am thinking of this transformer for my aleph 30. Is it gotta be too much for aleph 30? I like this transformer because it has four secondary coils so that each pair of the secondary coils can be used for one channel. that will make my aleph 30 virtually behave like dual monaural amp. but for 800VA, is it too much?

thanks a lot

Attachments

• an-8420.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 205
Hi hc,

I'm glad to see you moving ahead with your amp! My experience dictates that going oversize may be a good idea. But also in my experience, the larger the toroid, the more likely it will hum physically. This is a generalization - obviously a cheap small toroid will likely be noisy as compared to a quality large toroid. Keep in mind also that the larger the toroid, the larger the inrush. If I remember correctly I'm using a 600va toroid in my a30 with the bias maxed (r? removed) - no voltage sag.

What did Nelson use? add a couple hundred VA to that and I'm sure you'll be fine.

All IMHO

marc

mpmarino:

I am still in the building process. now I have to build the chassis. I may have the local machine shop custom make it for me. that will cost about $500. so other than the chassis and the circuit design. I pretty much build everything on my own, including part selection. one more thing. for the same transformer, do you know if antek will make more hum noise or plitron will has less hum noise? thanks a lot.

Sorry, I have yet to use either brand. Everything I've done has been surplus; sometimes it works out great, sometimes not :) . It's cheap though, and that suits me as I have been able to build several amps on quite a low budget.

If you need anything let me know, I may be able to help. I have no toroids with that spec in stock right now however.

hc167 said:
mpmarino:

I am still in the building process. now I have to build the chassis. I may have the local machine shop custom make it for me. that will cost about $500. so other than the chassis and the circuit design. I pretty much build everything on my own, including part selection. one more thing. for the same transformer, do you know if antek will make more hum noise or plitron will has less hum noise? thanks a lot.

Hi hc167,

Consider having the panels made by Frontpanel express. For my Aleph30, I had Frontpanel Express cut a large aluminum sheel to my design, found a reasonable local presision sheetmetal shop who bent it into a box, then I drilled and tapped all the holes in the heatsinks. Here's a link to the amp for a look to get a better idea of what I'm describing.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70622

-David

I am currently looking to purchase my transformers to build 4 Aleph amps to tri amp my speakers (2xMiniA and 2xAleph3)
this thread got my attention.

I am looking @ some transformers from antek.

mostly these transformers:

for the 2xMiniA
http://www.toroid-transformer.com/AN-5415.pdf

and

and for the 2xAleph3
http://www.toroid-transformer.com/AN-8420.pdf

what do you guys think?

would the transformers I listed be enough to power 2 amps?

i will run a little xtra bias on both amps, plenty of heatsinking, and will be driving BG Neo8, and Neo3 speakers.

I promise that one day i will have a Pass lab amp.......but its hard to find time to build, solder, tinker in my life right now

dw8083:

thanks for your commend. I read your posting and I like your chassis a lot (except that your chassis is not standard 17" wide in size). frontpanel express is good source for buying panel. but the problem is if I do everything myself for the chassis, then I have to buy a drill press, and my wife will most likely complain about that. well, this is my personal problem. anyway, I have purchase the same heatsink that you have (conrad heatsink ML151.5-350) and wondering how good it is for your amp's temperature. and what is your rail voltage? thanks a lot.

A pair of Conrad ML151.5-350 heatsinks are simply ideal for a standard biased Aleph30. In Winter I can run the amp all day and evening, and in Summer for several hours before the temperature exceeds the 5 second hand test. I can easily keep my hand on the base of the heatsink for 5 seconds or more before it becomes too hot.

The quality and cost both cannot be beat.

-David

Im taking a break from moving right now to post a pic of my new goodies from Antek!!!!!!!

I got these delivered to work today, and to be honest I was not ready for the size of these guys! To my shock the first one I looked at was the smaller 500VA 4x15 for my MiniA (pic attached)

well packed,and big as hell :bigeyes:
(dwarfs every transformer I have ever seen in mainstream amps!)

makes me wonder if im nuts or not building these amps to tri-amp with?

I got the 500VA 4x15 , and the 800VA 4x20

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.