Purpose of Bypass caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Purpose of Bypass caps

Nelson Pass said:

I regard this as a religious argument thing. I think religions are good and useful, and arguments between religious beliefs are interesting, and like the Jerry Springer show, even entertaining, but the fact is that solid information is hard to come by.

The good news is that you can build up your average circuit without film bypassing and it will work fine. Then you can go about the process of trying different sorts of bypassing and see where it gets you. This is the DIY part, and while it is helpful to listen to opinions, they should just serve as a starting point for your own exploration.

I don't usually provide bypassing information in my projects, except perhaps as a passing thing, because I expect that those who are the least concerned about these issues will find their own solutions and don't need my help.

On the contrary, my opinion would be a hindrance....

pass/ - not out to hinder DIY, and still enjoying halo style sign-off

I must be losing my touch. I find myself agreeing 100% with Nelson.... Except that I find nothing entertaining in Jerry Springer.

Jan Didden

JDeV said:
Continued 3:
Although this all is based on industrial applications, I am sure the theory will aplly to Audio as well.

The figure in the lower right hand corner of the picture shows
what happens if you pick a value that creates an resonance when
put in parallel with the big cap's parasitic inductance.

When there's a tendency toward ringing, what are the listening
impressions likely to be? "Smeared" transients? An "edginess"?

I presume that a lack of ringing would lead to a more relaxed
sound.

Sadly I lack the requisite equipment at home to set up the
condition, measure it to verify it is ringing to a greater or lesser degree, then listen to find out. :-/

eL

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think it's more useful to listen first, measure later.

When I listen first, I'm more free of the influence of the measurements, which is a powerful thing.

Also, I much more enjoy being vindicated by instruments than vice versa.

pass/ - still keeps one eye on the meter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.