The Unvailing of the ???? at the CES - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2003, 07:17 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

If you guy's are going to try to reverse engineer this... good luck ;-) Order your favorite CAD program now. I recommend SoundEasy (~$210).

Check this site for lots of free programs. Some are Excel spreadsheets some are real software.

http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm
Especially checkout the BDS (Baffle Diffraction Simulator) and the FRC (Frequency Response Combiner) there is another one for editing graphs that is very usefull but I can't remember what it is called.

I assume the drivers are recessed because it would be too hard to flush mount them to the granite from the front. It doesn't seem to be done for time alignment as it looks like they are all at the same depth. At least that's what it looks like from the pics.

The raw response of that tweeter must be nasty with that much recess. Same for the 5"er.

Question: Do you think they are talking about 1st order acoustic slopes or 1st order electrical?
Normally crossovers are referenced to the acoustic slope so that's what I am assuming. Very tough to do. But then again it's a $40k speaker.

I can't wait to see what kind of info Nelson and companty share with us.

Russ
Old 10th January 2003, 07:36 PM   #22
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

I agree with most of your hypothesis
about this construction

So there is not much I have
to add here in writings, myself

/halojoys thanks you for saving him the trouble
Old 10th January 2003, 07:44 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: They don't look like PHL

Quote:
Originally posted by russbryant
PHL drivers don't have round frames and don't come in 11" sizes. Could be a custom PHL for Pass Labs though.

You don't see frames because they are covered by the baffle.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th January 2003, 10:52 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Re: You don't see frames because they are covered by the baffle

Yeah, I posted that before I noticed they were recessed. We'll just blame it on a crappy video card ;-)

I still don't think it's a PHL. Still looking for a pic of the PSL.

Actually, now that I'm on a better computer, it looks like the mounting depth for the drivers is different.

Russ
Old 10th January 2003, 11:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Why cross the Raven so high Peter?

Peter,

I've never heard of a need to cross the R1 (or any Raven) that high. Is there something I'm missing? Do you have a link to your Raven Frequency Response?

Thanks,

Russ
Old 10th January 2003, 11:23 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Congratulation

Everyone has been oohing and awing over this new piece of equipment, and trying to figure out how best to reverse engineer it. But so far no one has really said congratulations to Nelson on the launch of his new speakers, so let me be the first. I hope you every success with this new speaker and congratulations. I am sure that all of the members of this forum feel the same way!
Old 10th January 2003, 11:24 PM   #27
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Crossing Ravens that high mean they last longer as crossing them low gives to large excursion frying them (which apparently happens to some people sometimes) leaving you with a hole in your wallet the size of a new Raven. At least that is what I understand. Peter will know for sure...

And yes, congrats on a very neat product well out of my reach.
Old 10th January 2003, 11:35 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by UrSv
Crossing Ravens that high mean they last longer as crossing them low gives to large excursion frying them (which apparently happens to some people sometimes) leaving you with a hole in your wallet the size of a new Raven.
New ribbons for the Ravens are relatively inexpensive. The recommended XO for a Raven is 4th or even 6th order. Any less and the XO needs to be way up there.

dave
Old 11th January 2003, 12:10 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Here's the link to Ravens http://orcadesign.com/companys%20pro...rs/raven2.html

I keep a bunch of spare aluminum elements in case I blow it again. They can be obtained from Orca very cheaply (I got mine for free). This is a good part about this tweeter. Basicaly, you can't loose it. Replacing ribbon is very easy, just removing 2 screws and that's all.

I blew mine 3 times already.

Here's PHL link http://orcadesign.com/companys%20products/phl/1040.html
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 11th January 2003, 12:30 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Peter,

I'm familiar with the Raven home page.

Can you share any details about your crossover? Is your speaker a 2 way design?

Russ

Hide this!Advertise here!